OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NEF Pardner HELP

Started by baz77, April 02, 2011, 08:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baz77

Hey guys I have killed a couple birds with this gun, but I want to optimize my performace with it. I am not a "gun guy" at all and bascially ignorant about all chokes. I currently just have the choke that came with the gun in it. I want to switch to Hevi shot, is that possiable? What modifications do you all suggest. Any info would be great. Thanks!

BigPeck215

i just set up my nef 10, see the post about nef rem hevi shot patterns, if you are going to shoot hevi shot you will need a better choke, a jellyhead, puregold or an indian creek all work well

if you want to shoot hevi shot the only loads are special order nitros which are the best buy pricey, hevi 13 makes a load of 5's that pattern well but do not put up as big of numbers, federal makes a heavyweight shell in 7's,6's and 5's they are good big are very finicky and expensive when compared to hevi 13 but no as expensive as nitros, if you have the money are are not in a hurry go with nitros, but hevi 13 is supposedly coming out with a magnum blend shell this fall of 5,6,7's and it should be beast of a shell, so if you dont plan of turkey hunting with it this spring that may be an option to wait

it all depends on how much money you would like to spend, if you get the right choke and some nitros you will have a 10ga gun that no 12ga will even come close to touching, feel free to message me with any questions  

presdme

I have a nef 10 with a kicks gobblin thunder 680. It shoots 170"s in a 10 inch circle at measured 40 yards consistently using winchester supreme  #6 lead. Cheap shell!!  If you are going to use heavy shot be advised kicks does not recommend it in their gobblin thunder tube. Hope this helps  :anim_25: GOOD HUNTIN!! :anim_25:

Basser69

Quote from: presdme on April 04, 2011, 04:39:13 PM
I have a nef 10 with a kicks gobblin thunder 680. It shoots 170"s in a 10 inch circle at measured 40 yards consistently using winchester supreme  #6 lead. Cheap shell!!  If you are going to use heavy shot be advised kicks does not recommend it in their gobblin thunder tube. Hope this helps  :anim_25: GOOD HUNTIN!! :anim_25:

But Kicks will tell you that Nitros are ok to shoot in their choke tubes. Go figure that one out.  :z-guntootsmiley:

BigPeck215

yeah i'm shooting the old rem hevi shot out of a kicks with reckless abandon  ;)

Beretta686

Nitro builds nickle plated lead to, not just HS
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

Basser69

I have shot Hevi through my kicks gobbling thunder .655 (12ga.) and not had a problem...... Yet  ;D I think it is just a liability thing with them.

BigPeck215

kicks claims that hevi 13 is not buffered enough so the pellets move through the choke as a solid mass and it is too much to constrict as once and causes problems, but they say nitros are okay because he mixes in lead with his hevi shot and that reduces pressure, when kicks was told that nitro has straight hevi shot loads, their response was you can t shoot hevi 13 at all.  ??? someone just doesn't like hevi 13 and is a closet winchester fan on the winchester payroll