News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How well can turkeys see in the dark?

Started by tjh24, April 09, 2016, 02:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmboy27

Quote from: Uncle Tom on April 12, 2016, 03:19:59 PM
Had an experience many yrs ago.....deer hunting and a flock walks out into an opening at least 100 yds away and feeding. I sat perfectly still..did not move at all for several minutes...all of a sudden heads pop up and all go running off into woods. Had never been turkey hunting in my life but had heard of their suburb eye sight, so I knew I had to remain perfectly still. Asked an ole time turkey hunter about it some time later and he asked if I was wearing a face mask..said "Nope...he said you blinked and they saw it" Have never forgot that and believe that eyesight is as good as it gets. You know "they can hear you thinking and see you change your mind"...you start out remembering that and you will be up one on them.
Wow. If they can hear me think then they must have a death wish. Because as soon as I get one gobbling I'm thinking of killing him! lol!!

g8rvet

Birds have skeletal muscles in their pupils.  They can dilate their pupils voluntarily.  Those with the correct receptors see extremely well, but those without can still see pretty darn good - when they want to.  At least as good as us.

The point to me, is that if you are quiet and all is right in Mr Tom's world, he is not yet looking at the ground in the wee hours.  Nothing down there much concerns him. Until you step on a stick or sound like a heard of elephants then he is paying attention. Also, he is sitting up high, where there is more light.  Even with dilating his pupils, he is not gonna see down to the forest floor as well as you will looking up from the darker to the lighter. 

Also like someone said, highlighting yourself against a sandy road or in an opening makes you more visible.  Their "poor" nighttime vision is relative. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Buzzkiller

I have been coon hunting several times and they fly out of trees at night and I never heard a crash. I guess they can see some at night or they know there way around very well. :newmascot: