turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How well can turkeys see in the dark?

Started by tjh24, April 09, 2016, 02:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjh24

I'ved wondered this for years, maybe some of you guys with a lot more experience can tell me.  How well do turkeys see at night?

Say its a full hour before sunrise, can they see you moving in the dark as you approach the roost site?  I would imagine that the moon phase would have a lot to do with it as well. On a cloudy, moonless night, it would be much darker. I was more curious if they can see similiar to deer, meaning their nighttime vision is excellent as well.

In my area of Northeastern PA, the opener of our season is late April, but even then, there is still not a whole lot of leaves on the trees.  Ive often wondered how close I can get to the tree before they see me.

Thanks

NYlogbeards

They cant see very well in the dark probably as well as you and me can see at night, if its full moon possibly they might be able to pick up some movement but they rely more on hearing than sight at night and they will hear you walking if you're near their roost.

Farmboy27

I don't think they can see any better than you or I can in the dark. I have walked right under turkeys in the dark many times. They might hear you but they hear things walking around in the dark all the time.

Happy

I think they are about like us. Maybe slightly better. Have walked under them many times in the dark without a light. If your early enough it doesn't seem to bother them.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Bowguy

Everyone is giving you good advice. You already have it figured out. On a real dark night they have a hard time. Big moon n you better be careful especially in open woods early season before green up. Go early n take a step or two at a time in the deer. Act like a deer n you won't have problems. If you see a bird pop his head on the roost, sit still until he tucks it than be very quiet. Oh n no lights

Yoder409

Gonna be the dissenting vote here.    I think they see quite a bit better in the dark than we do.  Reason I think this is for all the times I have walked quietly under them walking into bow stands only to have them bust off he roost and sail a half mile across the valley.  I'm assuming that's where they go because there's a field over there.  But when I can't see my hand in front of my face, a turkey must be pretty confident in its navigation abilities in the dark to get up to 40 or 50 mph airspeed then landing safely.......... somewhere.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

2eagles

I pretty much agree with Yoder in that maybe their night vision is better than ours. I've had tha same experiences busting them in the dark going to or going from a tree stand. Another thought is ducks and geese do quite well flying in the dark. Small song birds flit from branch to branch in the dark. I think we all agree, don't crowd a roost tree even on the darkest night.

OldSchool

I don't really have anything to add, other than that I agree that you can get away with a lot more when It's good and dark and to be careful when the moon's up. Having said that, I still try to stay out of sight even when It's dark.

Thanks for the link John.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

WNCTracker

what I think is that their senses are so keen that they detect some movement in early light, and when the light is sufficient for them to see, they are staring down at you watching for any abnormal move like adjusting your facemask or scratching your face (pretty sure that's why the one saturday sailed out of the tree 40 yards above my sunrise setup )....and we all know that turkeys like to err on the side of caution

Triple Gobble

They can see you or hear you, just be careful
And don't get too close. :bible:
Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

TauntoHawk

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is if you are early enough the turkeys are often still asleep, heads tucked down by their wings. They aren't seeing anything if they're asleep on the limb and you don't wake them.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WNCTracker

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 11, 2016, 11:37:28 AM
Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is if you are early enough the turkeys are often still asleep, heads tucked down by their wings. They aren't seeing anything if they're asleep on the limb and you don't wake them.
wait.... turkey's sleep?   :morning:

Uncle Tom

Had an experience many yrs ago.....deer hunting and a flock walks out into an opening at least 100 yds away and feeding. I sat perfectly still..did not move at all for several minutes...all of a sudden heads pop up and all go running off into woods. Had never been turkey hunting in my life but had heard of their suburb eye sight, so I knew I had to remain perfectly still. Asked an ole time turkey hunter about it some time later and he asked if I was wearing a face mask..said "Nope...he said you blinked and they saw it" Have never forgot that and believe that eyesight is as good as it gets. You know "they can hear you thinking and see you change your mind"...you start out remembering that and you will be up one on them.

SwampMoss

6 or 8 years ago my uncle and I were climbing a tree to deer hunt. We both had bulky buckshot climbers and I was new to any climber stand so I
was very loud. That was 45 minutes until shooting light...on over towards daylight I thought the trees were all falling down but it was a flock of turkeys roosted in the trees we were in. They hit the ground and 'turkey'd" around for 30 minutes or so, none the wiser about us being there....we were using flashlights and everything and those birds never flew. Maybe they were too cold to fly lol