OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anyone hunt over a water hole?

Started by lowoctane, April 06, 2016, 05:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowoctane

Found one that has natural cover and was just thinking... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

yella yelper

They traditionally like to roost over water. Where they go from there is unpredictable

lowoctane

Yeah, typically I hunt close to creeks but there are none close. This is a little pocket, maybe 60' across, just out in the middle of a field... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Marc

With condensation and dew, will birds even go to a "water hole?"

I know that quail will utilize dew and condensation over standing water, but am unsure as to turkeys???

With lots of moisture on the ground currently, and a number of springs and small ponds on the properties I am hunting, I have yet to see a turkey print next to any standing water...  Footprints next water holes are easy to see in the mud, and I have yet to see any water hole that has any footprints next to them this season...

On dry years, any standing water will have all kinds of prints around them... 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Mike Honcho

It would greatly depend on the part of the country you are in and the current weather patterns....if in a hot, dry, arid climate turkeys would certainly need to hit any good water source.

If you are in a higher humidity and rainfall area there are probably many sources of water.

Tracks will tell you.

fallhnt

My friend and I hunt a spot we call the "Elk wallow" in the fall,in IL. It's about 5 foot in diameter. It's kind of fun to watch turkeys drink.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy