OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Orange wrap on a tree

Started by saltysenior, April 03, 2016, 07:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltysenior

But, if you were walking and heard turkey sounds and then came to see a tree with a 6'' orange wrap on it, wouldn't that make you a little more careful ??   

outdoors

Quote from: saltysenior on October 11, 2016, 09:31:56 AM

But, if you were walking and heard turkey sounds and then came to see a tree with a 6'' orange wrap on it, wouldn't that make you a little more careful ??
I HUNT ON PUBLIX LAND AND IF I CAME ACROSS THAT
THERE A REAL GOOD CHANCE 8 out of 10 LEFT OVER FROM DEAR HUNTING
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Happy

Quote from: saltysenior on October 11, 2016, 09:31:56 AM

That would mean nothing to me. There is orange tape and paint in many areas I hunt. Here is where basic hunting safety is your best line of defense. Positively identify your target and that it is legal game, make sure you have an ethical shot and make sure that there is an adequate backstop. If those rules are followed then "accidents" would drop drastically. To many people have an overwhelming desire to kill because that is the only way successful hunting is measured in this day and age. That is the problem. Not orange clothing or a lack of it.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

saltysenior

I, personally have seen 1,658,495 tapes,ribbons, blazes, bright eyes, etc. in the woods. I have never come across a 6-8'' colorful  band wrapped 7' off the ground on a larger tree ....maybe turkey hunters could adopt a color for this purpose.        Corn Yellow ????

silvestris

Quote from: Marc on April 04, 2016, 12:13:42 AM

I do think that turkeys sometimes see (or sense) something amiss and hang up or leave (which is why I do not like to call at a bird I can see).  I know that there are times when I am holding perfectly still, and that bird is eyeballing me hard, and leaves.  Maybe they saw me blink, or maybe they can hear my breathing (who knows)... 

Brain waves.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Happy

If they are observant enough to distinguish a 6" orange wrap from an orange spray painted timber marking then they probably  aren't going to shoot at turkey sounds. Just my opinion anyways. Sure it can be argued differently.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

saltysenior

Quote from: Happy on October 11, 2016, 07:55:40 PM
If they are observant enough to distinguish a 6" orange wrap from an orange spray painted timber marking then they probably  aren't going to shoot at turkey sounds. Just my opinion anyways. Sure it can be argued differently.

I'm not worried about the ''observant '' ones.........you have to remember, some folks are hiding in the bushes, making turkey sounds. other folks are walking around with a loaded gun looking or listening for a turkey they want to shoot

howl

I know a fella who prescribed suspending a helium balloon above his location to ward off other hunters. The most of us just holler at people who get too close and get on with our lives.