turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Indiana birds still flocked up?

Started by Indianayounggun, April 02, 2011, 12:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indianayounggun

Well i know that the youth season doesnt start till the 23rd here in indiana but i had to get out and listen to some birds gobble this morning. as we were driving around to the different places we have permission to hunt in this one certain area about two square miles in size we didnt see hardly any turkeys out in the fields that usually are filled with them. when we went back and talked to one of the farmers he said he was seeong them mostly about a mile down the road on the south side of the road. so went headed that way in search of all the birds that has seemiongly dissappeared over the winter!!! haha anywasy we get up to the spot he was talking about and there were about 6 ifferent groups of birds in fields on the north and south side of the road. in these groups there averaged about 1 big longbeard and another subbordinate gobbler along with about 15 hens. and there was a group of 12 jakes. my question thoiugh is that why would they all be in this once confined area when they are usually spread out through the area of different farms. are they just starting to seperate from winter flocks and get with hens and have not moved to their sring range?????? thanks for any ideas!

coachmitchel

I was in southern Indiana along the river last weekend and saw the same thing.  Saw a group of 25 or so, one big gobbler strutting and gobbling.  Didn't hear any gobbling in the morning, but saw several different large groups throughout the morning and afternoon.  Family said they were hearing some gobbling in the morning this week.

gatortrax35

I live in Louisiana my Fam. has a farm around Hovey Lake south of Mt. Vernon.  Im trying to head up there to hunt.
Good luck

Duke0002

They're still flocked up in my piece of Ohio.

Hootowl

Did some road scouting today and ran across a few Flcks that had more than 15 birds in them, couple of them had Strutters, But it was nice to see. Get me pumped up, Plus one of the places is on my private land.....

Hoot