turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Difference in .660 and .650 choke

Started by ThunderChickenHunter21, March 29, 2016, 01:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThunderChickenHunter21

Is there really that big a difference from .650 choke and .660 choke? If so what is the difference? I know each gun is different, just didn't know if anyone had any insight. Thanks

Chilly

.010" difference on the internal diameter!!!!
Depending on the shells, it can be good or bad.  Choke them down too tight and they will blow out on you causing holes in your pattern.
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

Dr Juice

The difference is .01 ... Do I win a prize? Just joshing. A .01" can make a difference depending on the gun and shot size. Therefore, you need to put in some range time and find the most effective thunder chicken slaying combo including the ammo. Good luck to ya?

coonhunter

It could be a huge difference in how the gun patterns.  I know 650 was too tight for my 870 with 3 1/2" shells.  It blew holes in the pattern bigger than you fist.  I went up to .665 and seems to be about perfect.
Joshua 24:15

allaboutshooting

Quote from: ThunderChickenHunter21 on March 29, 2016, 01:40:48 PM
Is there really that big a difference from .650 choke and .660 choke? If so what is the difference? I know each gun is different, just didn't know if anyone had any insight. Thanks

Is there really that big a difference from .650 choke and .660 choke? If so what is the difference? I know each gun is different, just didn't know if anyone had any insight.

You've asked an excellent question. While the difference in the exit diameter is apparent, the difference in performance can be less straight forward.

We focus so much on exit diameters, understandably, since that's the easiest way to discuss chokes. that we sometimes lose sight of what really makes a choke perform in a certain manner. It's really all about the internal geometry of the choke tube.

Every choke designer has his own idea of what makes a good design. He may have an idea of just how long a parallel section should be, how steep the angle should be on the conical section, if it should have several steps, if he should use ports to grab the wad, slow the wad or just for cosmetic effect. There are many more decisions to be made but you get the idea.

The designer should look at performance with different shells from different makers and different sizes of shot.That complicates the job but it's necessary. He must also consider how each design performs in different shotguns with different barrel lengths.

Lastly, he must consider what the general public perceives from their past experiences with chokes and shotshells.

Now to try and directly answer your question:

There can be real difference in performance in one maker's .650 and that same maker's .660 chokes.

There may be very little difference in that makers .650 and another maker's .660 choke...due to the differences in the internal geometry of the two chokes.

Not all that long ago, I evaluated 32 different chokes through 6 different guns with 3" WLB shells with 1 3/4 oz of #6 shot. I fired 3 WLB shells through each choke and gun. Choke exit diameters ranged from .643 to .676 with many "stops" in between. I then performed the same evaluation with 3" Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot.

When I examined all of those patterns, looking not only at numbers of hits but also at the quality of the patterns, it was easy to see that one maker's choke with, let's say a .660 exit diameter, compared very favorably with another maker's choke with, let's say a .643 exit diameter.

So, to recap, a .650 and .660 from the same maker may pattern quite differently but a .650 from that maker and a .660 from another maker may pattern very much alike.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

ThunderChickenHunter21

Wow thanks for the insight. I'm currently shooting and IC 665 but was thinking about going to jebs 660 or 660. Guy made an offer to me of a 650 and just getting some info before I purchased one. Ive read good things on jebs but like my IC as it is. Appreciate the help