turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best sounding and performing call

Started by Txag12, March 28, 2016, 01:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

If I could only take one type of call in the woods it would be a mouth call... 
•   A lot of versatility in a small space; 15 different calls with different sounds takes up a smaller amount of space than any other single call by itself.
•   It can be used hands free with little motion, and is probably the best call for finishing birds when hunting alone.
•   If run properly it is a very realistic call, capable of the full spectrum of turkey sounds.

Negatives of a diaphragm:
•   Tough call to truly become proficient on.
•   The calls stick (always at the exact wrong moment)
•   I am certain I will accidently swallow one during the excitement and recoil of shooting a bird.

That being said, I have been running a box call more than a mouth call these days.
•   Easiest call to sound realistic on.
•   Fun to run and stress free cause they are so easy to run.
•   Loud.
•   The right box call seems to have the inherent value of turning birds on.

Negatives of the box:
•   Poor choice with moisture.
•   Takes up a lot of space in a turkey vest (especially if you want to take multiple calls).
•   Most likely call to accidently make noise while walking.
•   A lot of motion needed to run one, and a poor call for finishing birds (although I can run one one-handed).

I gave up on pot calls some time ago.  Kept losing the little sticks.
Will probably order a scratch box as my next call as they intrigue me.
Would love to try a good trumpet call, but the cost gives me pause.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

joker

This is why I hate this site so much. It is stupid topics like this! People should be more careful what they say. There are a lot of people that read these posts and have call addictions. Now I am going to have to buy a couple really nice scratch boxes and trumpets to try. Thanks a lot guys!  :character0029:

boatpaddle

Quote from: joker on March 29, 2016, 06:21:06 AM
This is why I hate this site so much. It is stupid topics like this! People should be more careful what they say. There are a lot of people that read these posts and have call addictions. Now I am going to have to buy a couple really nice scratch boxes and trumpets to try. Thanks a lot guys!  :character0029:

LOL!!!

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Spitten and drummen

For me it's a turpin style box call and a trumpet.  Mainly because these calls are less used and I like to have calls that the birds aren't getting hammered with by other hunters. Most talk about finishing birds. It strange because I have finished a whole lot with a box. I use mouth calls , but where I hunt , the majority do too. I have my knees drawn up and the box is in my lap . Working the call with my knees concealing it has worked countless times. Most times my finishing touch is no call at all. Alot of times it may take longer than the clucking and purring , for him to come those final yards , but I find once he committs just be parient. If he is hung up and soft talk is needed , the box is sitting in my lap.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

SteelerFan

Quote from: boatpaddle on March 29, 2016, 06:36:44 AM

LOL!!!

X2! LOL

TauntoHawk

Doooo it, it'll be fun
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bowguy

Quote from: M Sharpe on March 28, 2016, 06:02:10 PM
A man plays best what he spends the most time practicing with, whether it be a mouth call, trumpet, box or pot. If you have negative thoughts about box calls, your not going to play them very well. Personally myself, I like the clucks on a GOOD box call. And, I understand that people have a different definition of good (see opening statement). Some peoples hear sounds better than others. Some people do not have an ear for turkey sounds! Some don't even want a clear sounding call. I've read on here were some think that box calls are only good for locating turkeys. I've read where some folks start one on one thing and switch to a different caller to finish calling him with because they don't feel comfortable calling him on in with the first call. Many of these birds just seem to vanish. You tried the mouth call and he didn't answer. You tried the box call and he didn't answer. You hit your ol' favorite pot call and he lite the woods up with gobbles. Why?? Because you gave him the sound (hen) he was looking for!!
Personally myself, 1st, I like a wingbone or trumpet, 2nd, a box call and 3rd, a pot call. I'm a little bit like ol' Quiggly, never had much use for mouth calls. That doesn't mean I can't run them though. Just never had any use for them. And they definitely have their place.....in my vest.
And, if it's raining, I'm using a wingbone, a delrin MKW trumpet or an acrylic Matt McLain trumpet and a penicle pot call from Supreme Turkey Calls with a Beard Hunter all weather striker.
Think Mark hit it on head. A lot depends on who's profecient w what

Txag12

Enjoying reading the responses, it's always nice to hear another hunters experience and thoughts on a topic where honestly I don't think there is any one correct answer.

In the process of this, I also just got with Al at SS custom calls to get my first scratch box LOL

perrytrails

Quote from: Txag12 on March 29, 2016, 02:51:03 PM
Enjoying reading the responses, it's always nice to hear another hunters experience and thoughts on a topic where honestly I don't think there is any one correct answer.

In the process of this, I also just got with Al at SS custom calls to get my first scratch box LOL

Your right, no correct answer as others have said its a individual game. Use what you have confidence in.

And it's a sickness, as most will admit their #1 call doesn't always suit the bird they are working.

Keeps us all in search of a different sound, and broke...

BowBendr

I have no personal favorite, I like the varying sounds that each style of call delivers. What I believe matters most is confidence and proficiency so you can give the proper amount of inflection, feeling and realism. I will not take any style of call to the woods that I have not mastered, and I mean mastered. It took me years to get good on a trumpet, now Im a death machine, same goes for the rest...I work extremely hard on my calling ability with each.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions