turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#5 or #6 in long beards?

Started by ohiostrutter, March 26, 2016, 03:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiostrutter

Wanting to pick up some long beards to pattern here soon currently shooting mag blends but I want to see what these will do. Shooting a 870 super mag sps turkey currently have a jelly head 665 in it. Looking for opinions on 5 or 6 shot and any good suggestions on other chokes through my setup.

Philippe

Keep the choke you have and shoot 5's and ditch the overpriced hevi garbage.

taylorjones20

#5 should do very well with your current setup.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

TallTimberGabriel

#5s all day long. Also, the 3" shot better than 3.5" in my super mag.

lowoctane

Quote from: TallTimberGabriel on March 26, 2016, 04:54:29 PM
#5s all day long. Also, the 3" shot better than 3.5" in my super mag.

X2!!  :camohat:
LB 6's give me a better pellet count @ 40 yds but the 5's are a better hunting pattern.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

jmart241

mine shoots 190s at 40yds with the 3.5 same set up with 5s never tried 6s

BandedSpur

If I was shooting LBs, I would be shooting 5s.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

kcrebel

I've got the same gun and through my Kick's 665 choke tube the pattern density is twice as good at any yardage with the 6's than the 5's.  Every yardage I've shot the 5's will have gaps.  The 6's are always very uniform.  I will take uniform pattern over bigger shot with gaps any day. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: ohiostrutter on March 26, 2016, 03:02:54 PM
Wanting to pick up some long beards to pattern here soon currently shooting mag blends but I want to see what these will do. Shooting a 870 super mag sps turkey currently have a jelly head 665 in it. Looking for opinions on 5 or 6 shot and any good suggestions on other chokes through my setup.

I think it's always good to try the choke you have before investing in another one, so I'd recommend that you give that JH a try with the WLB shells. I normally see more even and dense patterns with the #6 shot than with the #5s but since the WLB shells are pretty reasonably priced, you may want to try both for yourself and see which you think does best in your gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Dr Juice

My SX2 with a Patternmaster choke is shooting a nice and even pattern using LBs #5 & #6s. Good luck.

Sent from my thunder chicken slaying machine!

Buckeye_Strutter_935

i just shot 3.5 5 and 6 LBs and they both pattern great cant go wrong with either
Feathers Fear Me

maytom

I went with the #4's instead. I see now that they have a 1 7/8oz. load out now too!!

dantheman

6s for me pattern was a little more even and dense. I am having great luck with the hevishot tube out of my 1187 supermag. believe its.662

coonhunter

3 1/2" LB #6's with a IC .665  225 hits in the 10" at 40 yards.  The 5's were at 165 hits at 40.  both good loads and both will kill turkeys dead!
Joshua 24:15