turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Versamax question

Started by vtstrutter, March 21, 2016, 09:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtstrutter

I'm looking at buying the versamax  with the 22" rifle sight barrel for turkey hunting and I've been looking on here for some info on chokes and load combos but I'm not seeing much at all.  Anyone shooting this gun? Thoughts? Good\bad...thanks

BrowningGuy88

My buddy is shooting it with the factory choke and 3.5" Mag Blends and it is a killer. He doesn't count pellets but it is a good even 15" pattern and more than enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Gobbler

It's a newer gun , so there has not been as much aftermarket chokes available

I own a versamax , as a backup to my sp10 -- with a sumtoy choke shooting the fed#7 and it shoots quite well
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

vtstrutter

im seeing that...im sure they will be coming soon.

Chuck1443

I have the waterfowl model 26" barrel I think , great gun , shoulders good , recoil is easy for 3 1/2 " , a little heavy is the only fault I see .
200 in the 20" with long beard 2oz 5's using factory full choke  , sumtoy is building me a choke as I write this ,he has a lot of experience with the long beards

allaboutshooting

Quote from: vtstrutter on March 21, 2016, 09:10:33 AM
I'm looking at buying the versamax  with the 22" rifle sight barrel for turkey hunting and I've been looking on here for some info on chokes and load combos but I'm not seeing much at all.  Anyone shooting this gun? Thoughts? Good\bad...thanks

They are great guns, reliable and pattern well. The most popular choke on my site has been the JEB's. Readers have had excellent results with that choke and a variety of shotshells.

I think you'd enjoy the gun and have good service from it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

vtstrutter

Thanks for the info.  What constriction is the sumtoy and the Jebs?

Chuck1443

Sorry I don't know the sumtoy constriction

forcercon1

I have a Versa Max with a 28" barrel. I have a Sumtoy & Pattern Master Code Black turkey choke for mine. Both of those choke combos shoot the Hevi 5's, and the LB 5's or 6's very well.

dms2511

I am shooting/hunting with the short barrel turkey model versamax. Ive been very happy with it. Below is a link to one of my post last year shooting the Longbeard XR Magnums in it. Feel free to send me a PM if i can be of any assistance.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,50928.msg533672.html#msg533672

vtstrutter

Quote from: dms2511 on March 22, 2016, 07:47:19 PM
I am shooting/hunting with the short barrel turkey model versamax. Ive been very happy with it. Below is a link to one of my post last year shooting the Longbeard XR Magnums in it. Feel free to send me a PM if i can be of any assistance.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,50928.msg533672.html#msg533672

Sounds good thanks!