OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What words to you use to make sounds on a mouth call?

Started by vabeardhunter, March 18, 2016, 10:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vabeardhunter

Like to get some feedback on what words or sounds everyone tires to make for different sounds on a mouth call. Maybe a list of the word or sound you try to make for the sound you are trying to produce. I know its different for who's using the call, but looking at improving and trying to get some good ideas.
ie: chuck = cluck ect..
thank you
VBH

dirt road ninja

MK M GOBL

The "word" thing is just a way for you to learn tongue / jaw / lip motion and movement, I am never actually saying a word.

MK M GOBL

SteelerFan

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 18, 2016, 12:06:39 PM
The "word" thing is just a way for you to learn tongue / jaw / lip motion and movement, I am never actually saying a word.

MK M GOBL

:agreed:

Dr Juice

MK M GOBL
Give that man a bell!  :z-winnersmiley:

vabeardhunter

Wanting to get better at mouth calling, all the info I can get helps. I know some say they try to emulate a word or sound they are making for different calls. Just figured I would ask. Thank guys!!!

TauntoHawk

Quote from: vabeardhunter on March 18, 2016, 01:40:56 PM
Wanting to get better at mouth calling, all the info I can get helps. I know some say they try to emulate a word or sound they are making for different calls. Just figured I would ask. Thank guys!!!

I learned using a CD that taught the Huff this word method.

Chuck,Chic,Puck,Pick, Hep, Hip, Chauk, yuck.... ect I thought it was a very easy helpful way to learn and then eventually you just stop thinking about what words and just make the turkey sounds you want.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SteelerFan

It's tough to write a recipe of words = calls. If I had to toss out some guidelines, I'd say "Keeeee-yukk" for a yelp, but in real time it's sped up to "chauck", so that makes no sense - I'm sure.

If I were going to introduce someone new to mouth calls, here would be my advice: Watch this video about mouth call mechanics (https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLF87B01A5CB6196B6&v=3uPXoGEZeYg) and I'd DEFINITELY order the mouth call mechanics kit.

http://www.callingallturkeys.com/#!mouthcallmechanics/c210x

I can say, with certainty, it's very important to have a call that fits YOUR calling style. If you're not sure, this kit helps you try a lot of various reed configurations so you will know what type of call you can use the best, at least for now.

This will save you lots of money and frustration chasing the elusive holy grail of the perfect call. I've wasted a bunch of money over the last 30+ years on mouth calls because of buying brand instead of cut. Some folks are lucky, and can use any variety of cuts, but you are better off knowing just what cuts you like before you spend $15 on a Woodhaven call that Scott Ellis makes sound better than a real turkey, only to find out you make it sound like a crippled seal barking. Not much demand for the "lightly used, never hunted" diaphragms in the classifieds.

Think of cuts and brands like you would boots and sizes. Danner, to me, makes some nice boots, so... You should always buy size 11, 'cause it's the best! I'm telling ya, pure foot joy right there!!!

Now if somebody bought a size 11 Danner, and tried to stuff their size 12.5 foot in it, or their size 10, it obviously wouldn't be the same.

Stick with it. Make "clean" noise with it, then turn that into yelps, etc. Don't get too hung up with trying to say "chick chauk, keeeyok, etc". Create the air seal, work on the hiss of a steady note and dropping the tongue and snapping it back. End each note...don't let it "blur". Have fun!!

Yoder409

MK M GOBL

Yep.    No words.

Air from the belly muscles, tongue pressure controls how high or low the tone is and drop the jaw to break over into your second tone.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

vabeardhunter

Quote from: SteelerFan on March 18, 2016, 02:38:05 PM
It's tough to write a recipe of words = calls. If I had to toss out some guidelines, I'd say "Keeeee-yukk" for a yelp, but in real time it's sped up to "chauck", so that makes no sense - I'm sure.

If I were going to introduce someone new to mouth calls, here would be my advice: Watch this video about mouth call mechanics (https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLF87B01A5CB6196B6&v=3uPXoGEZeYg) and I'd DEFINITELY order the mouth call mechanics kit.

http://www.callingallturkeys.com/#!mouthcallmechanics/c210x

I can say, with certainty, it's very important to have a call that fits YOUR calling style. If you're not sure, this kit helps you try a lot of various reed configurations so you will know what type of call you can use the best, at least for now.

This will save you lots of money and frustration chasing the elusive holy grail of the perfect call. I've wasted a bunch of money over the last 30+ years on mouth calls because of buying brand instead of cut. Some folks are lucky, and can use any variety of cuts, but you are better off knowing just what cuts you like before you spend $15 on a Woodhaven call that Scott Ellis makes sound better than a real turkey, only to find out you make it sound like a crippled seal barking. Not much demand for the "lightly used, never hunted" diaphragms in the classifieds.

Think of cuts and brands like you would boots and sizes. Danner, to me, makes some nice boots, so... You should always buy size 11, 'cause it's the best! I'm telling ya, pure foot joy right there!!!

Now if somebody bought a size 11 Danner, and tried to stuff their size 12.5 foot in it, or their size 10, it obviously wouldn't be the same.

Stick with it. Make "clean" noise with it, then turn that into yelps, etc. Don't get too hung up with trying to say "chick chauk, keeeyok, etc". Create the air seal, work on the hiss of a steady note and dropping the tongue and snapping it back. End each note...don't let it "blur". Have fun!!
Great info. Thanks http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/Smileys/classic/icon_thumright.gif