OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite striker for slate?

Started by Gutsdozer, March 14, 2016, 06:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gutsdozer

Hello all,

Can I get some suggestions for wood types on strikers on slate? I would like to get easier to produce clucks mainly. I have tried a few and zebrawood is one that I kind of like. I also like the mushroom end types. Seems like I get a more realistic sound out of the harder woods. I am a novice and picked up a Lonnie Sneed  Hot Hen last year but kind of struggle with the striker he provides.

Any suggestions and info is appreciated!

eorlando

I don't use stickers but rather strikers...haha. I like dymondwood, snakewood,  and yellow heart. I just got an African blackwood from bill lyman that is quickly moving its way up to the top.

Wildfowler

My favorite is black locust for slate

Gutsdozer

Quote from: eorlando on March 14, 2016, 06:58:23 PM
I don't use stickers but rather strikers...haha. I like dymondwood, snakewood,  and yellow heart. I just got an African blackwood from bill lyman that is quickly moving its way up to the top.

Ugh I can't believe I wrote stickers each time. Comes from having a three year old that loves stickers I think. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

paboxcall

'Black walnut and slate go together likes peas and carrots.'

Forrest Gump
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Buzzkiller

Black Locust    Yellowheart   
and like eorlando I really like my African Blackwood

jed clampett

Black locust,persimmon,kwila,cedar,dogwood..that persimmon and dogwood work real well on my hot hen

wvmntnhick

I've got a good corn cob topped hickory that sings on slate. Having said that, recently got a black locust and a bloodwood that work quite well too. The only reason I like the hickory is that it was specifically tuned to that particular slate. I've got a striker that's tipped with ipe and it makes a much higher pitched sound. Good but higher. Slate generally isn't as picky as other surfaces. I've found the metals to be the pickiest of everything I've played.

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

SteelerFan

My "go to" striker on the Hot Hen (and other slates) is a Steve Torman (West Augusta) black locust.

The Woodsman

Tamboti and monkeywood plays nice

hunter22

I love Dogwood and Persimmon on slate. If I want to add some rasp I like Purpleheart.

Jbird22

Slate is a very striker-friendly surface but my favorites are Persimmon and Dogwood as well. Zebrawood is another one that I'll keep in my vest for slate this year.

Hankyorke

Quote from: SteelerFan on March 14, 2016, 07:56:16 PM
My "go to" striker on the Hot Hen (and other slates) is a Steve Torman (West Augusta) black locust.
This!
I also like cedar for quiet early stuff.

wmn2

By far, cedar for quiet stuff. I really like my osage orange striker as well on slate. I can get whatever sounds I need out of those two.