turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rick Howard Custom Call Review...

Started by SteelerFan, March 12, 2016, 03:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

I recently had the opportunity to get a call from Mr. Rick Howard. At my request, he spun up a walnut double glass pot call and he matched it up with a two-piece walnut / tigerwood striker. He was very pleasant to deal with, exchanging messages promptly and keeping me up to speed as far as shipping info, etc.

The call itself is beautiful. It's a nice piece of selected walnut, and the finish on both the pot and the striker are flawless. All seams are tightly fitted, with no rough areas. The striker itself is unique and balanced nicely. It plays well on the double glass surface, giving a lower note to the call (which I like). The double glass pot is also quite responsive to a two-piece dymondwood (both strikers used in the in the sound clip...1st tigerwood / 2nd dymondwood). I also like the higher sound I get with a Fowler snakewood, and a one-piece tulipwood (might be my favorite so far).

I think it's fair to say you can add Rick's name to the list of quality callmakers out there that obviously take pride in their work and will send you a little bit of turkey in every call.

I've put together a small sample of his walnut double glass - I am by no means a competition caller, far from it... but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before! Thanks Rick!  :icon_thumright:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDl5yuQX50M&edit=vd

Rick Howard

Cleveland48

Beautiful call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

packmule

Nice review. Rick has posted up some fine looking pots and strikers lately.

JLH

That is a fantastic piece of walnut.

As for your calling...as natural and realistic as you can get. Don't change nuthin'.

Rick Howard

I appreciate the kind words fellas.  Thank you.

BABS9

Rick makes an awesome call. Fit finish quality are top notch. Great guy too. Seen him work first hand a definitely no short cuts are taken. Hes making me up a slate now can't wait!

Terry

I met Rick at his home yesterday morning to pick up a call I bought from him. The call is very well built and sounds great. On top of that Rick seems like a great guy with a passion for what he does.

Rick Howard

Thanks fellas.  You all know how to keep a guy motivated. 

Lonehowl

Rick is an awsome callmaker and great guy!
Mark

Rick Howard

Thanks, Mark.  Likewise, I admire your work too.

Jgarrett

Yes I currently have a pot from Rick now, that I'm about to start field testing. It sounds great to my ears.
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida