OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Strikers on a budget for crystal pots

Started by Philippe, March 10, 2016, 02:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

Ok gang,

What are good strikers for someone on a budget that is using a pot call with a crystal surface? I've looked and looked, but just cannot get a definite answer or make a clear decision. I'm thinking some form of purpleheart?

Ocoee Ridge Runner

Two piece dymondwood $8 from David halloran.

Stump.270

2 piece d-wood the ones Lonzo Halloran and houndstooth send are great strikers the primos laminate strikers the 777 the lucky striker and the cuttin one sound great too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Little bit more Harold fowler makes great strikers

CMBOSTC

Philippe

WillowRidgeCalls

A two piece striker is a little less costly that a turned striker. A turned striker will make the call sound a little cleaner, smoother sounding than a two piece will. The cost depends on the wood to build it with for either striker.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

yelpaholic

scoot12

I totally agree with a Halloran two piece diamondwood,  love his two piece strikers.  Scoot

SteelerFan

New Yorker

get the pegs and handles from brookside game calls and make your own. drill a hole and glue it together. I'm not a fan of the cheap, mass produced two piece strikers, but that's what i would do...

Philippe

Quote from: New Yorker on March 11, 2016, 12:22:08 AM
get the pegs and handles from brookside game calls and make your own. drill a hole and glue it together. I'm not a fan of the cheap, mass produced two piece strikers, but that's what i would do...

I ended up buying two nice single piece strikers from Harold. Went with the purple heart and dymond wood.

mastevt

I'm not trying to under cut anybody, or discourage anyone from someone elses stuff, but I buy 5/16 acrylic rod for .20 a foot.  I make 2pc  strikers using scrap wood that I try and match to the pot material for the handle, when I combine them with the call.  I sell them separate for $5.00 and they sound great, and run wet.  Acrylic really sounds nice on copper and alum. and ceramic, but runs extremely well on any glass surface too.
Here are some examples.

New Yorker

I think that you made a great choice and you supported real craftsmanship at the same time.

Philippe

Quote from: New Yorker on March 12, 2016, 04:39:56 AM
I think that you made a great choice and you supported real craftsmanship at the same time.

Yeah, I wont buy mass produced calls from places like Cabelas. I prefer something hand made by someone right here! I also got the OK from the wife to order a nice pot and striker from Mastevt! I like knowing that I am keeping actual talented craftsmen busy rather than filling the pockets of a corporate giant and getting a sub par product.