Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Roll call

Started by nativeks, March 09, 2016, 10:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIStrutStopper

I've still got 2 weeks to go before my season starts. May go out scouting a bit this weekend.

deerbasshunter3

Somebody was already signed up to hunt today, so this morning was a bust. I will be out Saturday morning, whether it is public land or private.

turkey harvester

Hope ya connect sat morning, good luck.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

birdman67

One of my birds was shot at yesterday morning. Clean miss but I bet his IQ is through the roof. Guy who shot at him said he came in behind him and he tried a quick shot. I hate it because I was planning to hunt him tomorrow.
Loving God's Creation!

deerbasshunter3

We didn't see or hear a single bird this morning. I hate to be this guy, but unless my schedule for the first week of may changes, I don't think I'll be able to get back out.

What makes it so bad is that I had a bird at 20 yards one evening back in March. I let him go because I figured the season was early and it was my first sit... A lesson learned, indeed.

turkey harvester

That sucks dbh3, maybe something will change and you can get back after them.
My season starts in the morning too. Been at the farm in hunting for the last 2 mornings. Yesterday they were all on neighboring property but not far. Today heard at least 5 on that property. They hammered all morning. Gonna let the wife have first crack at one then I'll try to fill my tag. Worked very well last year.

Fan Club

Well, it's finally here...my season opens in the morning!

The weather finally broke in Michigan, supposed to be around 70 all week and I'm on vacation. Hard to believe just one week ago we had 4" of snow!

I'm fired up to say the least!
<-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-

"Really, it's just like a musical instrument. If I'd have spent the same amount of time practicin' the piano as I have practicin' turkey calls, I'd be as good as Liberace."  Ben Rogers Lee

MerriamMac

Good luck Fan club!

birdman67

Good luck to all y'all that will be put today! I'm gonna go for a quick hunt before work. Let's put the hammer down on some birds guys!
Loving God's Creation!

birdman67

Loving God's Creation!

turkey harvester

Way to go!!! Long story short, had a good bird at 30 yards to our right heading to the field edge towards the decoys. Everything seemed perfect as the wife was going to get to harvest this joker. Had 15 yards left to hit edge and a freakin hawk swooped down and tried to take Mr. gobblers head off. The hawk missed and is now on the ground have a stare down with our bird. Hawk decided to give it one last attempt on having a turkey dinner and failed. But managed to send our gobbler heading into the other direction rapidly. We got him to gobble again but he didn't want to play anymore. Should have shot that sum beach when he hit the ground but didn't. So day 1 is a bust for me but I think I'm going to take another day off this week. After that I'm weekend only. Too much stuff going on at school.

MerriamMac

.... lets see here. Spent the first weekend on a private ranch that I paid a trespass fee for both my dad and I. My father got one opening day in the first fifteen minutes but i failed to get one all weekend there. Sunday night i moved camped a few hours north to the canyons of south/central colorado to meet up with my friends who were hunting turkey for the first time ever. Next morning I guided them to a secret spot of mine and had two gobblers come within 20 feet of the blind, both guys were using traditional bows and not mentally ready apparently. It happened quick because the toms didnt hang out and strut around, nonetheless they should have seized the opportunity!... hunted several times since and no luck, weather, etc. Thursday night I go out to a ranch I have access to checkin in with my flock Im more accustomed to. Ill being staying until monday morning so hopefully I'll have at least one chance.

Fan Club

Hey Boys-

Tagged my Michigan bird Wed 4-20 at 7:15 a.m. A two year old, 19.5 lbs, 3/4 in spurs and 9 1/2 in beard. Not a monster but he'll eat well and it's points for the team. Turkey Nut- My Wenge/Padauk "Jester" striker was part of my arsenal. I had a Dentist appt. this morning, have to take my wife to the Doctor this afternoon and my band plays tonite so I'll get the story in our thread and the official score pics up ASAP. Thanks!
<-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-

"Really, it's just like a musical instrument. If I'd have spent the same amount of time practicin' the piano as I have practicin' turkey calls, I'd be as good as Liberace."  Ben Rogers Lee

birdman67

Congrats FanClub!!!
Loving God's Creation!

RIStrutStopper

Getting antsy here listening to all these hunting stories. Wild hunt TH with the hawk! That's one you'll remember. Some of my most memorable hunts ended with no bird but I'll never forget them, like the time I worked a bird for over an hour just to have him emerge from the wood line behind me and strut about 5 yards to my right. I could have swung around and grabbed him by the neck at one point. He started running to my jake decoy, thought he was looking to pick a fight. I was going to take him when he got there, but he kept running into the woods and was gone. Season opens in CT this Wednesday and in RI on Thursday.