Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Scents/covers: are they necesarry?

Started by nolimit679, March 31, 2011, 05:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nolimit679

hi all, im going to be going out soon and am getting things together. i have a blind (not sure if it stinks yet, havent gotten it in yet) and am about to go get some clothes.

my questions are is it necessary to use scent masks/other scents to cover me and my blind? what about having a meal in my blind? i do plan on being there a long while since it is public land, possibly even overnight, hence my question. it may be warm and it may get smelly.

random blind question:

with blacked out interior/tangled camo exterior blinds, is it better to wear tangle/woodland camo and mask inside the blind or just black clothing/mask? will i scare the turkey into giving me its money wearing a black ski mask?  :smiley-char092:

Timmer

Everything I have read about the biology of a turkey suggests is has no sense of smell.  I've certainly never worried about it.

I have been told by a relative that does camera work for a hunting production company (hunting shows for tv) that you absolutely have to wear black inside a blind.  I only own camo stuff,  I'm not going to carry an extra change of black clothes into the field with me.  I leave some of the removeable mesh windows out of my blind.  When I have had hens and jakes come in I have played with moving around within sight of the open windows to see what the turkeys can see.  I can definitely tell you that even though I'm totally covered and wearing a mask, if I move the turkeys see it and their heads pop up and they get nervous.  I do, however, think that it's dark and shadowy so you can get away with a lot more.    
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

nolimit679

this is completely off topic but i wanted to add it for giggles. i will find the link later but there are 2 videos on youtube. one is of a guy tying a simple blue balloon to a fence line and setting up in a blind and calling, a turkey runs up to the balloon and attacks it, bird gets dropped.

second video is of 2 guys running and gunning basicly, not worrying about cover or hiding. they would call to locate only and then just run up on em like it were an episode of cops. very interesting. like i said i'll add links when i find them again.

stinkpickle

Quote from: nolimit679 on March 31, 2011, 05:51:16 PM
...one is of a guy tying a simple blue balloon to a fence line and setting up in a blind and calling, a turkey runs up to the balloon and attacks it...

I wanna see that.  I read an article a long time ago about some guys experimenting with decoys.  They would keep removing pieces of them until the turkeys stopped noticing.  The article basically said that turkey would react to anything that remotely resembled the color pattern and basic shape of a turkey head (painted sock)...even by itself...sitting on top of a stick.   :D

Struttin Spurs

I have heard this too. I had an old foam decoy that looked like crud to me. The paint was peeling off in places and starting to fade. The turkeys didnt seem to care though. They still came to check it out. Makes me think we spend to much time worrying about how realistic our decoys look. And for this reason I will never break the bank and buy a DSD.

As far as cover scents....don't worry about them.

Kylongspur88

I don't know who said it but it's a true statement, they said that if turkeys could smell like a deer we would never kill them.

tjh24

You dont have to worry about scent with turkeys, deer are a different story.  I am a scent control fanatic when it come to deer hunting, thats why it is nice to not have to worrry about it for turkeys.

As far as your second question, I have not seen the youtube video, but It would not surprise me if they did come into to it.  Turkeys are very curious creatures and like to investigate things.  I remember an article about an old time hunter that would use a bright green stuffed animal in the field, the birds would see it and curiousity would get the best of them and they would come in.  Give it a try and let us know if it works

lmbhngr

If they could smell you couldn`t kill them!!

WyoHunter

Don't be concerned with your scent but DO be concerned with movement!  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

northwoodshntr

In the blind, slow/minimal movement. I'm gonna go the other route on scent control but only to a minor point. Ive had at least 3 occasions when I was set up, had turkeys coming in, and blew it because deer winded me. They started blowing and stomping (the usual routine) and ran off. The turkeys took the hint and bugged out with 'em. I don't get obsessed with scent control during turkey season but a shower and some scent killer never hurts either.

bowhunter84

Quote from: WyoHunter on April 05, 2011, 12:14:12 AM
Don't be concerned with your scent but DO be concerned with movement!  :icon_thumright:
:agreed: good advise :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Belo83

they say in the fall up in the north east that sometimes the reason you see turkeys and deer travel together is that they rely on each others abilities, the turkey's eyesight and the deer's smell and hearing. It's never been proven to my knowledge but it makes sense.

the only reason i would consider covering your scent is if you plan on doing some very early deer scouting.

keyser12ga

Only reason to worry about scent control is if you plan to use the same blind for deer.  Like don't eat mcdonalds and wipe your hands on it.

Timmer

Quote from: northwoodshntr on April 05, 2011, 12:48:40 AM
  In the blind, slow/minimal movement. I'm gonna go the other route on scent control but only to a minor point. Ive had at least 3 occasions when I was set up, had turkeys coming in, and blew it because deer winded me. They started blowing and stomping (the usual routine) and ran off. The turkeys took the hint and bugged out with 'em. I don't get obsessed with scent control during turkey season but a shower and some scent killer never hurts either.

That's a good point.  I believe turkeys are very aware of their surroundings, including other animals.  Before sunrise I have been busted by stomping and snorting deer on a number of occassions.  I wasn't using a blind though.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!