turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stuck between a 12 and 20 for new turkey gun

Started by TauntoHawk, March 07, 2016, 11:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VaBoy

You will also loose some velocity out of the shorter barrel , have been told that you actually lose it with anything under around 26"  . Not so much a problem with a 12 gauge but something to keep in mind with the 20. I would opt for the longer barrel ...

Dtrkyman

I would personally go with an ultra light 20ga o/u or sxs, there are a few that are around 5lbs and would be amazing to carry around, make sure they have a barrel selector and you can run a turkey tube and a standard full combo.

I would shoot federal heavy weights or hand load some tss.

Nboyd15

I don't think it makes a difference if u hunt with a 12 or 20. I have killed turkeys with a 20 gauge 870 at 60 yards. But this year I bought a winchester 1300 nwtf 12 gauge

TauntoHawk

I ordered the wheatherby sa-459 in 20ga

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

FL-Boss

you won't regret it.  Plan on selling your 12ga now if you have one... you'll never want to pick it up again after handling that SA-459

codym

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 16, 2016, 12:26:05 PM

Good choice. Ordered a Carlson 575 and shot HW#7's in a 25-30mph wind and got 120 in an 8' circle, I was very happy with that. Next year I will try the TSS.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: FL-Boss on March 16, 2016, 12:55:26 PM
you won't regret it.  Plan on selling your 12ga now if you have one... you'll never want to pick it up again after handling that SA-459

Well I will still carry my 12 when my wife is hunting with me.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TauntoHawk

Quote from: codym on March 16, 2016, 01:19:36 PM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 16, 2016, 12:26:05 PM

Good choice. Ordered a Carlson 575 and shot HW#7's in a 25-30mph wind and got 120 in an 8' circle, I was very happy with that. Next year I will try the TSS.

Im not decided yet on whether to go Carlson, Sumtoy, or Rob Roberts as my "first" choke option. I shoot a sumtoy on my 870.

tree-rat sniper

I still own a 12 but it rarely sees use.  Anymore most of the time one of my lightweight 20s gets pulled from the safe.  From yard pests to turkey, deer & coyotes the 20 hasn't let me down.
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

Rick Howard

Gobspur

Quote from: Rick Howard on March 16, 2016, 06:51:50 PM
16ga it is then

Love my sweet sixteen!  ;D

Honestly though, with today's ammo can't go wrong with a 20 gauge for a lady.

TauntoHawk

Ordered a fast fire III for it, between it being on sale, a promo I had and some points I picked it up for$160 now I just need to call William at sumtoy