turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stuck between a 12 and 20 for new turkey gun

Started by TauntoHawk, March 07, 2016, 11:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

I would like to buy a new turkey gun and while I will use it the main function of this gun would be for my wife to use when she hunts with me.

I currently run a Rem 870 express 3" with the sureshot stock, FastFire II, and sumtoy choke. Things a turkey thumper and thing carries and performs awesome.

When my wife goes with hunting she borrows a 20ga from a good buddy of mine, either a 870 youth 20 or a weatherby SA-459 Tac turned turkey and she really likes both of those but shes has also carried my 12 and other full size 12 before as well.

I am not sure if I should buy a 20 for her or just get a new 12 and run reduced recoil or smaller payload shells in it when she's carrying it. She generally only hunts about 2-4 days a season. She's not intimidated by a 12 in any way but a 20 does fit her better and easier to hold and aim.

My must have criteria are Semi Auto, pistol grip stock, shorter barrell (22-24"), and ready for a reddot to be mounted also want to keep the build to under 1K total if possible. I realize that eliminates a lot of options but a SBEII and SX3 just aren't in my price range

The two main front runners that come to mind are the 20ga Weatherby SA-459 Turkey that they have now or a 12ga Stoeger 3500 turkey.

Any opinions or thoughts out there
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

codym

I just got the weatherby sa-459 turkey in 20ga. I haven't taken it out to pattern yet, but I'm really happy with the gun so far. Good quality and came ready to go. By that I mean it is drilled and tapped with a rail and sling swivels. Just ordered a fast fire, Carlson choke, a bunch of HW #7's, threw a sling on and I'm ready to go. Once I get everything in I will post a picture. It's very light and I think I'm going to love it. My wife shots a benelli montefeltro, but she hunts everything and that is a better all around gun. For the price, weight, and features I don't think you can beat the sa-459 for a dedicated turkey getter.

FL-Boss

get the 20ga Weatherby SA-459 Turkey .... I have many shotguns for turkey and always take the SA-459.  It's flat out awesome

TauntoHawk

Quote from: codym on March 07, 2016, 11:34:30 AM
I just got the weatherby sa-459 turkey in 20ga. I haven't taken it out to pattern yet, but I'm really happy with the gun so far. Good quality and came ready to go. By that I mean it is drilled and tapped with a rail and sling swivels. Just ordered a fast fire, Carlson choke, a bunch of HW #7's, threw a sling on and I'm ready to go. Once I get everything in I will post a picture. It's very light and I think I'm going to love it. My wife shots a benelli montefeltro, but she hunts everything and that is a better all around gun. For the price, weight, and features I don't think you can beat the sa-459 for a dedicated turkey getter.

that what I was think so HW#7s and a reddot and id be pretty much ready to hunt.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ocoee Ridge Runner

SX3 12 has very light recoil and is a super duper shotgun.

Dr Juice

How about a used gun in very good condition? If you would consider going used, let the price be your screening criteria. Good luck.

vabeardhunter

Forend might be a little wide for her on the 3500 apposed to others she has tried. Good luck in your search.

Full strut

In the process of building a 870 youth 20. That's what I would get if I could do it all over

blueridgegobbler

My wife had a youth 870 21 inch barrel and to be truthful it had a pretty sharp kick she tried one of my old special purpose 870 12 gauges now she shoots it with 2 3/4  1.5oz loads and loves it just something to think about and it patterns well.

SKFOOTER

Don't overlook the Franchi Affinity 20 gauge, :OGturkeyhead:

Bowguy

With women somethimg to think about besides recoil is the physical weight. Some ladies would rather the lighter gun, especially climbing hills, etc. Something to think about.

BandedSpur

I'd go with the 20 and shoot HW7s for factory, or better yet, start loading TSS.

perrytrails

20 gauge has come a long way...Fed Heavy weight 7's have helped.

light weight, lower recoil.

Go 20ga, it may end up your favorite gun too!!

I to have used a 870 express 12 for years, I have the sa-20 Mossberg, pretty much the same as Weatherby, and a custom 20ga single shot with red dot.

Id say the sa-20 will see the most time this season.

TauntoHawk

Im feeling like the allure of "more power" in the ability to shoot 3.5s out of 12 is clouding my judgement. The best fit and feel for her and probably even me as run and gunner is the 20 and some HW#7s

TauntoHawk

for guys running the Wheatherby SA-459 I seem to be finding way more and cheaper of the threat response models over the turkey.. its all black instead of camo and has an 18.5in barrel instead of 22.. will that barrel length effect much. I am leaning towards just paying the extra $100 and a bit further drive to get the turkey model i just feel like 18.5 is gonna be weaker on patterns