OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Understanding pot call element's.

Started by Flounder, March 03, 2016, 07:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flounder

I have been reading and trying to understand all the different combinations of materials and how they make a call sound. This is only for choosing and understanding a good hunting call for the average hunter up to someone who has been playing pots for years.
Is there something out there that gives playing surface combined with a certain type of wood that would produce x sound for x experience hunter?
I guess y'all understand my question?
Thanks,
Flounder

pappy

Most of these guys will tell you the best combo is the one that will work for you while bringing in a bird...me...I would choose slate over glass in a pot..like walnut or cherry....with a good grabbing striker something with good straight graining like snakewood or dogwood for subtle calling...the size would be around the 3-1/2" diameter ranger not smaller then 3 - 1/4" or you would get a lot of high pitch with little chance for a sweet spot...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Flounder

Yea Pappy, that's what I'm asking. Something to get us started with combinations of most structure elements that make most a good hunting call.
Been hunting a long time.. but never got into what a call was made of. Just knew it called in turkeys.
Thanks a lot.

TarheelTurk

I agree 210% with pappy ! The combo he stated is awesome and hard to beat in the woods! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

mspaci

Pappy is correct, I like a 3.5 slate in cherry, walnut, maple, or canary. Thats what I make the most of because it just works. Mike