OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Benelli SN - Stoeger M3500

Started by vabeardhunter, March 03, 2016, 06:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vabeardhunter

New to the site and hoping to get some feedback on Benelli Super Nova's and Stoeger M3500's. I have Remington's and Mossburg's already, so I have a pretty good idea about them. Looking to make one a dedicated turkey gun. If you own or have shot either I would like to know your thoughts? Reliability, balance, what you do, or don't like about them. Also, may just turn a M500 into a dedicated turkey gun, but will need a different barrel. Thoughts on what and where to get.
Thanks in advance

Mike Honcho

I've owned a couple of Novas (not Supers) and currently own a Stoeger 3500 camo 24" and a Super Black Eagle.

The 3500 is a very good and very reliable gun. I've tested by shooting many different mixed loads, 2 3/4", 3 1/2" ,3" in the magazine at same time and all functioned flawlessly.  I never shoot cheap low brass loads in anything so I can't speak to those. Mine shoots a little left of POA so it has Tru  Glo Magnum Gobble Stopper  sights...my Nova did same thing. Last year I had a red dot scope on it and liked it but moved that to another gun...it comes with a scope base included.

The trigger pull is very heavy...if I used as my number one gun I would have it worked on by a gunsmith.

It patterns Longbeard 5 and 6 shot very, very well as it does MagBlends...I use a .655 Jellyhead.

With a trigger job it will do anything my Super Black Eagle does.

vabeardhunter

Thank you. Very helpful. I'm really leaning towards getting a Stoeger. Have you tried different tubes besides the Jellyhead?

reynolds243

I'd personally pass on the nova. I'm a full in benelli fan but that gun is not a great option compared to a 870 or others.  I have owned stoegers (a 3500 and a 2000) and currently own an M2 and SBE2.  I personally loved the stoegers and found the 3500 to be a fantastic gun. Easy to pattern and well built. If your not gonna shoot magnum loads in a 3.5 then save some weight and get a 3000.  In my 3500 it would pattern with a variety of chokes but ended up with a sumtoy 650 and a hevi choke 656 with magblends. It would put out 220-240 at 40yds all day long with 3" magblends.

I don't like the nova and how it is known to rattle and is clunky IMO. Again that's just how I feel though and everyone likes different things

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."

Sent from my phone sucka

Mike Honcho

I think the only other choke I tried besides the Jellyhead (older one) , was a .650 Ballistic Specialties  from Batesville,AR.   
That choke provided a very good hunting pattern...a little more spread out at 40.
The Jellyhead does in the 250 plus range in 10" at 40 yds with Longbeard 6, 3 1/2".

Phire Phite

I shoot a Sumtoy that I got here on OG with my M3500.  It does best so far with 3.5 Magblend's.  If I remember correctly, it was around 201 in the 10".  But I don't count the most dense part of my pattern from a big sheet, only what hits the 10 on the target. 

Only negative I have about it is that it is heavy.  I have a 28" barrel and she's a chore to carry sometimes.

vabeardhunter

Thank you for all the great information. I've decided to give Stoeger a try. Picking up a M3K. Same gun as a 3000 with a couple added items. Can't wait to get rollin with it!

tree-rat sniper

I just picked up a barely used Supernova, shot it a little the other day & concluded that it will be replacing my old 870 for general use.  Also own a 20 ga std Nova & have been pretty pleased with that too.  They both seem to fit me better than my 870 or 500.
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!