News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New York 2016

Started by Dr Juice, March 02, 2016, 03:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYlogbeards

Quote from: mlisandro on May 03, 2016, 01:07:51 PM
Another wet NY morning with zero gobbles. I did see three ropes and a jake in a field next to a home. I just remained in awe watching them. Giving it another shot tomorrow which is suppose to be wet again. Good luck all.

Even though its been wet and cold birds have been really active around my parts, hope things turn around for you... Good luck.

TauntoHawk

When the weather breaks its gonna heat up fast, I am in no rush to get my tags on any birds just yet. I've always encountered that the boss birds have hens all day early season and don't start to get lonely and making mistakes until later.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sevenyearsandcounting

As far as bagging a bird.....look at my screen name to answer that....none but opening day my dad worked 12 birds and I finally got my first real shot at a spring turkey and missed.

So if I'm getting that action and I'm a terrible turkey hunter? Birds must be back strong.
My dad just had to run into that 23 lb tom I scouted all winter. Lol! I do the scouting never get a bird...he uses my scouting reports and slaughters everything and will be done by Saturday I bet before I even get a shot at another.
But whatever I've got a field with 8 male turkeys strutting and saw some fighting for the first time ever last week. 3 are big boys the rest are Jakes. Had two working in at this spot and a freaking house cat just slowly stalked the field edge of course a white cat will spook a smart bird but better the cat than us.

I don't know why I'm still trying to get a turkey but I guess it's still exciting even if you haven't shot a bird. The thrill of a tom gobbling and waiting for him to appear is too much fun. I just can't stop.
Btw we hunt 60% public but have a massive tract nearby so it kind of skews the numbers. The public land is banging this year compared to years past. No one is out. I mean no one. I barely see a soul hunting and that's the truth.
Please everyone wish me luck! Is wish you some but you don't want the kinda luck I have, more like a jinx. If I don't get one by the seasons end that's the time I say Uncle and stick to shooting a couple hundred ducks and 500 geese again this fall. That's about all I can hunt well.
I've been trying to take that enthusiasm and put it towards turkeys but it doesn't matter...I'm cursed so if anyone knows a witch doctor send him my way!

twoanthree-quarters

I seen toms struting and gobble , before the season opened. But now not one gobble.
I've called in one hen. Sence opening day.
And I have 6 Jake's that visit my bird feeder at. My house just about every day.

TauntoHawk

CAN. THIS. RAIN. STOP. PLEASE

If the weather prediction holds true and we get rain again this weekend it'll be 8 days in a row with rain during hunting hours. This weekend we have our NWTF Wounded Warrior Vet hunt and I'd really like to not have to battle through rain, fog, and wind if at all possible for those guys. We have 16 vets in this year, wish us luck and straight shooting boys
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

twoanthree-quarters

Best of luck.
They will enjoy it no matter what.
Carry-On.

Sevenyearsandcounting

Researchers at Clemson said when we see the boss gobbler and jakes hens all together it's not the best time to hunt as the toms haven't quite broke the flock mentality.

We are almost there but not quite. Only time I'm running into birds is when I find 3-5 together and of course we're not doing much since the gobblers henned up.

So this is helping me stay positive and wait them out. They do seem to be getting more ancy in the morning we had a tom booming the woods 45 mins before shooting time!

I think we will see a great boost of activity between now and the 10th. Gobblers will hit their mean steak and start really seeking and that's when we will be there. Can't force nature, we can try and it can work, but turkeys seem to be the best at fighting back. Good luck guys! Hope I can scratch this boss off tomorrow before the wife gets too mad I'm still out and it's Mother's Day!

TauntoHawk

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 06, 2016, 09:52:20 AM

If the weather prediction holds true and we get rain again this weekend it'll be 8 days in a row with rain during hunting hours. This weekend we have our NWTF Wounded Warrior Vet hunt and I'd really like to not have to battle through rain, fog, and wind if at all possible for those guys. We have 16 vets in this year, wish us luck and straight shooting boys
Awesome vet hunt, 16 vets killed 12 birds over the  weekend. My guy a 71yr old Vietnam vet killed a beautiful 3yr old on an unbelievable hunt and we finished up the day with a fast and furious bird for me before the noon gun.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dr Juice

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 09, 2016, 12:06:25 PM

Awesome vet hunt, 16 vets killed 12 birds over the  weekend. My guy a 71yr old Vietnam vet killed a beautiful 3yr old on an unbelievable hunt and we finished up the day with a fast and furious bird for me before the noon gun.

Thank you for taking care of our vets! Hooah to the team.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: mlisandro on May 09, 2016, 03:21:57 PM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 09, 2016, 12:06:25 PM

Thank you for taking care of our vets! Hooah to the team.

Oh its one of the most fun weekends of the whole year, long story in the general section if you got the time and want a read.

TauntoHawk

Anyone else trying to hunt this insane weather??? We had 40's and screaming 30+ mph winds all day today and now it's 33 and snowing in sheets.

Devastator

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 15, 2016, 09:04:42 PM
Anyone else trying to hunt this insane weather??? We had 40's and screaming 30+ mph winds all day today and now it's 33 and snowing in sheets.

I tried,need 1 more to finish off NY,ive never saw the weather be this way.If it's not raining the wind blows hard lolol.Been trying to get up there on wed,fri,and sun.mornings.It has to get better sometime!

Dr Juice

I concur. It has been the strangest weather I've encountered in the spring season for the past 25-years. I will give another shot this week and then hang it up for the year. Good luck to all.

TauntoHawk

I tagged out yesterday, killed two really nice birds and had called one for a Vet hunter but was an ego check for sure this year. Very tough hunts delt with Rain, Wind, and even some hail/snow on the one lone perfectly sunny day I had I never heard or saw a single turkey after fly down also had more hunting pressure it seemed on some of the farms that are usually fairly un-pressured got hunted hard by other guys.

Dr Juice

Congrats. I'm getting back to it tomorrow until Sunday then I'm hanging it up for the year. Hopefully, I can add one to the board. Good luck y'all.