OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New York 2016

Started by Dr Juice, March 02, 2016, 03:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Juice

philbilly223

I think I jinxed myself. Haven't seen the flock I have been scouting in over a week now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYlogbeards

Went out scouting this morning and heard 3 gobblers ripping up a storm, unfortunately it will be pooring down raining next couple days... probably wont get out till tuesday.

Dr Juice

That's what the weather man says but I am ready for battle. Good luck to ya.

BABS9

Putting a bird to bed now. Gobbled twice right where I need him to be. Rain ain't keeping me out tomorrow. Good luck tomorrow!

Dr Juice

Worst opener in years. It poured rain all morning but heard one gobbler in the roost for a short time and he disappeared. Back there tomorrow. Good luck to all.

Terry

Nailed one at about 6:30. It was pouring rain, but he came right in. 20.14 pounds, 9.5" beard, .75" spurs.

BABS9

Congrats Terry. I was able to get it done on opening day as well. Shot him at 6:35. They stayed up on the roost a little bit longer and he only gobbled 4 or 5 times but still a great hunt and a great bird to kick off the season!
9 3/4in beard 1in spurs

Terry

Quote from: BABS9 on May 02, 2016, 08:24:53 AM
Congrats Terry. I was able to get it done on opening day as well. Shot him at 6:35. They stayed up on the roost a little bit longer and he only gobbled 4 or 5 times but still a great hunt and a great bird to kick off the season!
9 3/4in beard 1in spurs
Congrats man!

philbilly223

Got it done this morning. 545 and he gobbled more than I have ever heard one gobble. 8 inch beard 1 inch spurs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Juice

Great news gents. Congrats. Today was not a good one either with the downpours in Sullivan county. Try to get it done tomorrow. Congrats again and good luck to all.

NYlogbeards

Had one gobbling all morning but couldn't get him in due to a swamp, gonna try tomorrow... Good luck guys.

TauntoHawk

I got out on opening day in the rain on a large flock, targeted the two dominant birds in the flock and had them both at 32yds right off the roost but there were too many birds in tight. Any shot I took was gonna have the possibility of killing a half dozen birds they were grouped so bad had 50 turkeys in front us pushing each other around, strutting, chasing never had anything like that so close. Could have shot several of the less dominant Toms as there were 8 longbeards in the flock but we decided to just enjoy the show and wait for an opportunity on one of the two i wanted but we never could make it safely happen before they slipped off into the plowed fields for the day.

I feel like it was a successful hunt regardless of pulling the trigger, after all that's the easy part but having 8 unsuspecting long breads put on the morning ritual and show all inside 50yds isn't something you get to see very often, the amount of hen, Jake, and gobbler vocalization that was going on was well worth it.   
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

NYlogbeards

Got out this morning and thought i was busted walking under a few hens but they didn't see me and i was able to sit down under some cover... about 50 yards across a creek heard one gobbling like crazy, i made a few soft yelps and clucks and he flew down right in front of me and was able to put this guy down at 25 yards.

Dr Juice

Another wet NY morning with zero gobbles. I did see three ropes and a jake in a field next to a home. I just remained in awe watching them. Giving it another shot tomorrow which is suppose to be wet again. Good luck all.