OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New York 2016

Started by Dr Juice, March 02, 2016, 03:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Juice

Fellow New Yorkers - are the Thunder Chickens hammering yet? I live in Queens and haven't had the time yet to scout, but I am getting itchy to get to it. Thx for the feedback.  :gobble:

Rick Howard

I have not heard any yet.

nyhunter

Haven't heard any here in Allegany or Steuben county yet.

philbilly223

Haven't heard any in Schenectady county but saw some jakes strutting in Albany county last week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Juice

Nice. Thx for the feedback. I will try to scout next weekend and provide a situation report.

mikejd

what part of the state do you hunt.

jordanz7935

Don't have any thunder chickens in my part off NY,just turkeys.They're still flocked up here and even if they were gobbling it wouldn't matter much, way to early to gather much info on where or what they'll be doing come may 1st. And I can't believe they're not gobbling in Queens yet  :TooFunny:

Dr Juice

I hunt Sullivan and Ulster counties mostly private land and occasionally on public land.

Dr Juice

We don't have them in Queens, but they are in Staten Island like this one in the photo.

Terry

I've seen a few toms out and about, but no strutting or gobbling activity yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OldSchool

Quote from: mlisandro on March 06, 2016, 11:34:57 AM
We don't have them in Queens yet but they are in Staten Island like this one in the photo.

Cool! I assume the guy by the door is doing the calling? ;) Still early here in my corner of NY.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Tunaguy

I'd set up in those bushes to the right-under the AC.
" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

tomstopper

Quote from: nyhunter on March 02, 2016, 08:23:59 PM
Haven't heard any here in Allegany or Steuben county yet.
:agreed: None in Steuben where I hunt either.

TauntoHawk

Still winter flocked but the flocks are strutting and gobbling in Greene with all this warm weather, my buddy who lives next to one of the farms we hunt told me he's been woken up 3 times this week by birds gobbling close to his house. Says the flock has about a dozen Toms that will strut each morning and some more smaller two year olds and jakes that just hang out and watch with all the hens. Usually by opening day they're broken up a bit but there's still usually a good few hanging around together until about a week or so into May before they get tired of beating on each other and spread out further, last year i shot a bird out of a group of 7 toms opening morning that were roosted together with about 5-6 jakes and 20 hens. Makes for some ruckus roost gobbling
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WNY Bowhunter

Dang taunto, sounds like you hunt one of the premier turkey farms in the state!!! I saw my first strutter of the year yesterday morning...it got me all fired up!!!
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."