OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

which striker woods

Started by KYHeadhunter02, February 29, 2016, 10:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYHeadhunter02

I'm starting to replace my mass produced and cheaper 2 piece strikers. It proving to be difficult for me to pick with all the options. So far I'm thinking purple heart, diamond wood, and osage orange. Name aside what 4 or 5 woods would you absolutely carry?

davisd9

Fowler two piece Osage over Snakewood, Lights Out Cedar, Bubinga, yellowheart, and a hickory or persimmon (want a natural addiction persimmon).  Want an Ipe also.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

wvlimbhanger

I've got a Fowler in persimmon that makes a nice "throaty" sound on slate that drives birds wild.  Goblestix from hooks also has a persimmon I want to try.

I would also get a cedar of some fashion for some light tree/pillow talk.

yelpaholic

Lyman snakewood,,,  david hollaran two piece dymnwood is hard to beat no matter how much you spend

Spring Creek Calls

Yellowheart, purpleheart, bloodwood, persimmon and hickory. Those 5 would cover all my pot calls.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

bowbird87

Snakewood, black locust, katalox, ipe and apitong by Mr Harold are my favorites as of right now.

JLH

If I had to pick 5, it would be in this order....

Yellowheart, Katalox,  gaboon ebony, Sinclair laminate, and snakewood.

southern_leo

Got my first slate at the convention and ran all of Hallorans strikers. Ended up with one piece persimmon and two piece purple heart. Both play great. Persimmon is very easy to run softly for purrs

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

savduck

Persimmon, bloodwood, Jatoba, apitong, and purple heart
Georgia Boy

WV Ridge Reaper

Quote from: savduck on March 08, 2016, 06:02:40 PM
Persimmon, bloodwood, Jatoba, apitong, and purple heart

Del makes the best one piece striker you can find imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ol Yelper

I really like Hallorans yellowheart, hickory, and wenge. And one of my big favorites is Primos Kee Kee striker, I believe its diamondwood, runs really good on most everything. Just got one of Fred Cox new Mesquite that sounds great and has great balance.

ncturkey

My favorites are Wormy Persimmon, Ebony, Goncola Alves, multi wood laminated, Tulipwood and different Persimmon. My next  to get is a Yellowheart and some type of Rosewood. I do have some really good two piece strikers. Other one piece striker that I have and like are Pecan, Hard Maple, Laminated Midknight Knight and Hale, Bacote and Zebrawood

dreis3

Man, hard to name 5... My favorites are hickory, bloodwood, purpleheart, dymondwood, yellowheart, gaboon ebony, tulipwood, jatoba, and snakewood.  Haven't turned any pecan and locust, but will be soon and am expecting good things from what I've heard.
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

boatpaddle

Snakewood, persimmon, babinga, bocote, & brown ebony.....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Spitten and drummen

snakewood , yellowheart , wenge , purpleheart and persimmon.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE