turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Scratchers-- Sound File

Started by gergg, February 28, 2016, 03:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gergg

I made a bunch of scratch boxes this weekend and took them out to the woods to see what they sound like. There are 5 different calls on this recording....4 Honduras mahogany/cedar soundboard & 1 black walnut/cedar soundboard. They were all played on a cedar striker as softly as I could play them, the phone/recorder was about 30-40 yards away in some fairy thick cover....Oh yeah, at the very end was my feeble attempt to play 2 different trumpets.....lol.....just wanted to compare them to the scratch boxes. So let me know what you think, sure is fun making them.

Thanks...Greg

https://soundcloud.com/user480895638/voice-010]

https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Clardh

Gergg,

I think those scratch boxes sound great. Very realistic and seductive. I really like the mellow sound.

Great Job!

gergg

Quote from: Clardh on February 28, 2016, 10:30:24 PM
Gergg,

I think those scratch boxes sound great. Very realistic and seductive. I really like the mellow sound.

Great Job!
Hey thanks a lot, I was happy with them, but nice to get confirmation from fellow hunters......I believe the tough thing is to find/make a call that sounds good playing softly, lot easier to make most calls sound good playing loudly. I usually call very soft and sparsely when hunting on public land which is where I hunt 100% of the time. I will make a recording next week with these scratch boxes playing louder, they will rip if you need to reach out there. Hunting the mountains, it doesn't take much volume to echo up and down those ridges.

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

Clardh

Gergg,

As I was listening to the recording I was thinking just what you said. They would do well on public land. That's not saying they wouldn't work on private, I just like the soft stuff to change up. I've hunted public land a lot and you're right. As the season goes on and you call aggressive, the turkeys walk the other way. Soft is were its at. Not many calls can do that. Your rythme is good also...

gergg

Quote from: Clardh on February 29, 2016, 09:48:40 PM
Gergg,

As I was listening to the recording I was thinking just what you said. They would do well on public land. That's not saying they wouldn't work on private, I just like the soft stuff to change up. I've hunted public land a lot and you're right. As the season goes on and you call aggressive, the turkeys walk the other way. Soft is were its at. Not many calls can do that. Your rythme is good also...
Thanks.....yes, soft is critical.....I tune these to be ultra sensitive, each one will roll over with the slightest movement, even extremely quiet tree yelps are possible. My brother has had great luck with them in Florida on heavily hunted land too. I think part of it is that they sound unique, noone is using a call that sounds quite like these, frankly I don't think they sound like a typical scratch box(on purpose), they are more like a box call with a bit of pot call mixed in. Where I hunt you very rarely hear the hens yelping, soft clucks is about it, so that is what I do.

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

jed clampett

So when you gonna start selling some?????

gergg

Quote from: jed clampett on February 29, 2016, 11:26:28 PM
So when you gonna start selling some?????

Hah, well it wouldn't be for the money....lol

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

Clardh

I am with you Jed. Gergg can't post things like that without selling a few ;D

gergg

Quote from: Clardh on March 01, 2016, 08:26:37 PM
I am with you Jed. Gergg can't post things like that without selling a few ;D

You're killing me...lol.....okay, I am going to build a batch this weekend..."IF" they turn out good enough that I would hunt with them, I will list them for sale. I will have a sound file for each call so people know what they are getting. This will only happen if the stars align and everything works out as planned. These will not be fancy calls, but they will be well built.....and must be full of turkey before being offered for sale. I will let you know what I come up with.

Greg

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls