OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My first question (newbie)

Started by Danger DAve, March 30, 2011, 09:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danger DAve

Hello everybody.  This will be my third season trying to outwit the wild turkey.  So far I've heard lots of Gobbling and had one in sight but he saw me move and fled about seventy five yards out.  Anyway.... My question is this.   I've read many times that you should wait for the bird to walk behind a tree or other obstruction before you move your gun in position.  But what if you are, say on the edge of a small feed plot and the bird walks out in front of you in the open?

Could I slowly move the gun until he is in my sights?  Smoothly and a millimeter at a time?  If not what.  Maybe sit up in the woods nearby?  The plot I speak of is on the flat top of a ridge of sorts with a logging road leading from boths ends and hardwoods at my back and really thick pines and thickets in front of me.  The plot is about the size of the average Suburban yards.  I've heard them Gobble many times from the thick area, but about fifty yards that way is another property.  I hope I was clear and I appreciate any help.  Opening day is Friday.

sugarray

Yes, if you set up just inside the tree line with your back to a tree you can use the darkness to help hide movement as well as the vegetation.  If you hear him gobbling, you should already have your gun up and ready before you see him.

Danger DAve

Thanks Sugarray.  I've been told so many times about their amazing eyesight I'm about scared to even blink.

KYFrid

Quote from: Danger DAve on March 30, 2011, 09:50:34 PM
Thanks Sugarray.  I've been told so many times about their amazing eyesight I'm about scared to even blink.

Don't worry the heavy breathing and heart beating out of your chest is what will give you away!  :goofball:

Danger DAve

I still get that with deer and I've killed my fair share of them.  I think when that stops it's time to take up stamp collecting.

open door

Quote from: Danger DAve on March 30, 2011, 09:35:11 PM
Hello everybody.  This will be my third season trying to outwit the wild turkey.  So far I've heard lots of Gobbling and had one in sight but he saw me move and fled about seventy five yards out.  Anyway.... My question is this.   I've read many times that you should wait for the bird to walk behind a tree or other obstruction before you move your gun in position.  But what if you are, say on the edge of a small feed plot and the bird walks out in front of you in the open?

Could I slowly move the gun until he is in my sights?  Smoothly and a millimeter at a time?  If not what.  Maybe sit up in the woods nearby?  The plot I speak of is on the flat top of a ridge of sorts with a logging road leading from boths ends and hardwoods at my back and really thick pines and thickets in front of me.  The plot is about the size of the average Suburban yards.  I've heard them Gobble many times from the thick area, but about fifty yards that way is another property.  I hope I was clear and I appreciate any help.  Opening day is Friday.

Dave, I'm not nearly as experience as many here, but here's something I found that really helps me. I use a hen decoy. Twice this year I've had birds walks within 25 feet of me and never noticed me behind my little 27 inch high blind. They were concentrating on that decoy. Keep your and hands down behind the blind while calling, etc. When you first hear the bird coming your way, then ease the gun up ever so slowly & prop on your knee. You will be ready as he comes into view. If you have to move a few inches left or right, do that very slowly, all the while watching him, do it when he's behind a tree, or looking at the hen. Hope that helps.

Danger DAve

Thank you sir.  You convinced me to bring my hen decoy tomorrow.

shootumindaface

If I get caught with my pants down and there is no obstruction up coming.. I snap the gun up quickly and shoot him.. He will give you the Oh Chit look for a split second.

guesswho

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 31, 2011, 12:19:14 PM
If I get caught with my pants down and there is no obstruction up coming.. I snap the gun up quickly and shoot him.. He will give you the Oh Chit look for a split second.
Along with loud yelping or cutting!  It will buy you a split second.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

hobbes

Quote from: guesswho on March 31, 2011, 12:31:54 PM
Along with loud yelping or cutting!  It will buy you a split second.

I'm right there with both of these responses.  I've heard it said many times that you can't swing on a turkey or "snap the gun up" to kill him.  I prefer to have the gun already ponited in their direction when they show up but that isn't always the case.  I've had plenty of luck with the quick draw method.

open door

Quote from: Danger DAve on March 31, 2011, 12:09:04 PM
Thank you sir.  You convinced me to bring my hen decoy tomorrow.
Yuu're very welcome. I'm still learning this turkey game myself, lol. One more point that I want to make. When you first set up, if you think you know the direction from which the birds will come, don't face directly toward it - whichever shoulder you shoot from, put it at a right angle from that direction - it gives you more room to move your gun left to right, or vice versa, when he finally shows. Small things go a long way when you finally get to the "moment of truth".

TarheelTurk

X2 Hobbes
No expert but learned from MANY mistakes! I agree with this never face directly toward a incoming turkey. Not beating a dead horse but if you shoot from your right shoulder face your left shoulder kinda in the general direction and follow him as he approaches with the gun barrel (even when he's outta sight). Gobblers most the time make an arc of some sort. For feilds set up back into woods a lil the same thing for logging rds never set up where your out beyond the edge (ask me how i know HAHAHAHAH LOL )God luck nxt time and most importantly enjoy yourself & be thankful everytime you get to go into the woods.
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

stinkpickle

LOL!  Indeed, they do.  :D

Danger DAve

Thanks to you all.  I'm feeling pretty  stoked about tomorrow morning.  There are lots of birds where I'm going I've heard lots of gobbling while hunting and saw lots of them while deer hunting.  Sooner or later it will all come together.

open door

Quote from: Danger DAve on March 31, 2011, 08:29:31 PM
Thanks to you all.  I'm feeling pretty  stoked about tomorrow morning.  There are lots of birds where I'm going I've heard lots of gobbling while hunting and saw lots of them while deer hunting.  Sooner or later it will all come together.
You are so very right it will soon all come together, just like it did for me the other day, I just happened to be in the right spot at the right time. You say you have a lot of birds - I have a feeling you're going to bag one tomorrow. Take your time, use your head, and get that long beard!! God bless you, and let us know how it goes.