OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

corian?

Started by shark, March 30, 2011, 08:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shark

I picked up some corian, but it's only 1/4" thick  question for any one who has used it is how do you cut it, what kind of glue to use and how does it turn  thanks

3inchstrutbuster

i cut it on a bandsaw i use five minute epoxie  if you want more i will send you a flat rate box full just pay shipping its 1/2 thick

Houndstooth Game Calls

I have a corian call that is fine I really like but does it turn good on a lathe?

Last Strut Calls

Quote from: Houndstooth Game Calls on April 17, 2011, 10:35:32 PM
I have a corian call that is fine I really like but does it turn good on a lathe?

I hate turning corian!

Houndstooth Game Calls

Can you buy sheets of corian fro dupont or go through a cabinet maker of some sorts just curious!

MarkJM

There is a good chance cabinet makers will have some extra pieces lying around. I got a sheet from a guy 3/4 thick and I am sending it off to have some calls made out of it.
MuellerCustomCalls

drenalinld

Most callmakers use it for a little while and like the results but it is so hard to turn they quit using it.

Last Strut Calls

Quote from: MarkJM on May 05, 2011, 11:14:49 PM
There is a good chance cabinet makers will have some extra pieces lying around. I got a sheet from a guy 3/4 thick and I am sending it off to have some calls made out of it.

I work at a cabinet shop so Im lucky that I get all mine for free

Houndstooth Game Calls

Last strut do you have to buy it through someone like you or can you buy it straight from dupont how is it sold besides calling a cabinet maker to order me a sheet.

Last Strut Calls

Quote from: Houndstooth Game Calls on May 06, 2011, 12:02:32 AM
Last strut do you have to buy it through someone like you or can you buy it straight from dupont how is it sold besides calling a cabinet maker to order me a sheet.

I dont know if the shop I work at gets it straight from a dupont or gets it from a warehouse or dealer or whatever. I know ebay is a good spot to get small corian blanks perfect for calls. I used to make a bunch of corian calls but they are a pain in the butt. I personally like wood. I think wood sounds and looks better. After a corian call is finished, the are heavy as a brick. I have a few .5 corian blanks so if you want a few shoot me a pm.
Kev

Last Strut Calls

Quote from: Houndstooth Game Calls on May 05, 2011, 10:23:14 PM
Can you buy sheets of corian fro dupont or go through a cabinet maker of some sorts just curious!

Im sure you could do it either way. Just ask a shop near you for the cut off scraps. They will most likey give them to you for free.

Houndstooth Game Calls

Thanks last strut I actually have a crystal corian call and once I matched it up with a yellow heart striker it became one of my favorite calls only with the yellow heart striker though did it perform at a higher level all other strikers I tried was just a ok call and the yellow heart striker I am using is shorter than normal strikers by just a little! Thanks for the offer I am gonna see if I can find some here around town I know you can buy it from lowes and for anyones else that wants to know dupont has a direct customer application but I dont know all the ends on that if I cant find some I will shoot you a pm thanks!

3inchstrutbuster

i have a friend that has brought me a ton of the stuff he gets it from a dumpster at counter top store if they have left overs they throw them away because if they order from a diffrent lot it dosnt match exactly

shark

I finally turned the piece of corian that I glued up, held together fine,didn't like turning it, heavy as a rock. have not put soundboard or surface in it, might not it's so heavy. I got mine at a counter shop, they have pieces left over like carpet remnits. 15.00 for a piece that was 3 foot by 3 foot.

handcannon

I've never turned corian but I have a trumpet made from corian that came from Sanatorium. For a trumpet, I guess it's a little bit heavier than wood but not enough to matter. It really is a fine sounding call though. Great control and tone. I imagine a pot would be a little heavy but shouldnt be a problem.