Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

2014(?) Weatherby SA-459 TK Choke tube recommendations

Started by Jkeiter, February 22, 2016, 01:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gophert

Other than price, they are really two different animals when compared to Benelli M1, gas vs inertia driven.  So, if you want to go with the more reliable you need to go with the Weatherby.  Don't get me wrong, the Benelli is a nice gun, but very picky when it comes to ammo and don't even get me started on the benelli "click". 

I hunted hard with the 2015 Weatherby SA459 last year and it never had a problem.  I ran TSS in mine, but it went bang every time I pulled the trigger and cycled all turkey shells without a problem.   As for as a pure turkey gun, I just don't think you can find a better value in an automatic.

Get the 2015 model, it has a lot of improvements on the 2014 model.  Get an Carlsons extended .575 (if you get the 20 ga model) and don't look back.     

codym

Quote from: gophert on February 24, 2016, 03:10:59 PM
Other than price, they are really two different animals when compared to Benelli M1, gas vs inertia driven.  So, if you want to go with the more reliable you need to go with the Weatherby.  Don't get me wrong, the Benelli is a nice gun, but very picky when it comes to ammo and don't even get me started on the benelli "click". 

I hunted hard with the 2015 Weatherby SA459 last year and it never had a problem.  I ran TSS in mine, but it went bang every time I pulled the trigger and cycled all turkey shells without a problem.   As for as a pure turkey gun, I just don't think you can find a better value in an automatic.

Get the 2015 model, it has a lot of improvements on the 2014 model.  Get an Carlsons extended .575 (if you get the 20 ga model) and don't look back.   

This is what I want to hear! Pretty much made up my mind on the 20 but sometimes you want to be sold a little bit, you know what I mean?

FL-Boss

+1... exactly what Gophert said. Get the 20 GA,  2015+ model, .575 Carlson ... exactly what I use. I never had a program with any of my Weatherby guns.

deadbuck

Back in December I took mine squirrel hunting with some old Remington 3 inch #7 1/2 lead shells I had saved for about 10 years. Was cool shooting squirrels with the red dot. Shot about 15 times and it never missed a lick. Have not shot any light load 2 3/4 shells in it and dont plan to, have other 20 ga guns for that stuff.

cutt down

I've only used my Weatherby for turkey so I can't give an overall reliability stamp but mine has cycled everything I've thrown through it & that includes a box of light loads to zero POI/POA. I didn't even change out the light load/heavy load piston that comes with it. Still cycled all loads. I've used it during some pretty cold weather & it still worked. Now when it comes to other hunting I use my M1 12ga Benelli or M2 20ga Benelli exclusively. I've shot Benelli since 1987 & they have been the most reliable for me. I've had several other brands over the years but they get sold or traded & I keep my Benelli's. Just me! A 20ga will kill just as far as a 12ga. 1200FPS is 1200FPS. The 12 will have a bigger payload but it's all about putting the pellets on target. Get a 20ga set up right & you'll be more than happy. My SA-459 20ga is the 2014 model & I use a SumToy 562-5 or a Rob Roberts 570. It's the only gun I use to turkey hunt!

ccleroy

The SA-459 is nothing more than a SA-08, they are extremely reliable and tough. I have had Benellis for 20 years, I love them, but this SA-459 is a slick rig.

Recurve

Might want to check your manual before you try shooting Fed. HW. in factory choke. I don't think the factory choke is designed for HW

FL-Boss

Should be fine.. for the 20ga.  I have shot countless Fed HW with flight control out of the factory choke.. along with other ported chokes. I believe the wads are softer on the 20ga loads, so it doesn't really pose any issue.

KansasGobbler

How is the POA/POI with this gun shooting the Carlson extended or Sumtoy 562-5 and the FED HW #7s without any adjustable sights or scopes?

gophert

Quote from: KansasGobbler on February 25, 2016, 12:42:29 PM
How is the POA/POI with this gun shooting the Carlson extended or Sumtoy 562-5 and the FED HW #7s without any adjustable sights or scopes?

I have 2015 model, but it shot perfect right out of the box.  The Carlsons and the Sumtoy shot exactly the same poa/poi. 

gophert

Quote from: Recurve on February 24, 2016, 07:43:33 PM
Might want to check your manual before you try shooting Fed. HW. in factory choke. I don't think the factory choke is designed for HW

I shot nothing but TSS and the factory choke is fine. 

Jkeiter

UPDATE on my 2013 SA-459 TK

Got a Bushnell TRS-25 and also removed the front sight by using a hacksaw and file, then touched up the front where the sight was with some flat black paint. Looks AWESOME and now the red dot has a clear path to my target. VERY happy with what I did. Will probably shoot it this way for now, but after season (maybe this summer or even winter) I'll have the barrel dipped and you won't notice it at all with the camo pattern on there.

Don't be scared...do it yourself and save some $$! Take your time and make a clean cut. I have no intentions of ever going without the red dot sight after shooting it. This rig is ready for some turkey meat this spring! Can't wait!!!

FL-Boss

130-150 is about what I like to see for real world hunting. Any tighter is too much IMO.  Looks great.

deadbuck

jkeiter, if you can find a .570 Tightwad it might do even better, mine did.