News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

2014(?) Weatherby SA-459 TK Choke tube recommendations

Started by Jkeiter, February 22, 2016, 01:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadbuck

Quote from: FL-Boss on February 23, 2016, 11:36:01 AM
Yes, it's removable. I liked the fact that it protected the front tube.

NO, It is not removable! Wish it was. It is soldered on.

FL-Boss

I thought there was a single screw that held on the front sight.. or maybe it was just a part of the sight?  I have the new model SA-459 now which is different... so I'm trying to go by memory.. which isn't the same as years past!

Jkeiter

Mine has a single screw on the muzzle end of the barrel, but I have not tried to remove it. Once i get a different sight I may want to, but that's a project for another day.

cutt down

Quote from: deadbuck on February 23, 2016, 02:31:56 PM
Quote from: FL-Boss on February 23, 2016, 11:36:01 AM
Yes, it's removable. I liked the fact that it protected the front tube.

NO, It is not removable! Wish it was. It is soldered on.

Mine is removable. I removed it & put a Burris FFlll on it. Another thing to consider is the Beretta gel pad on the stock. Raises the cheek perfect for the sight. It's clear & sticks on! The 6mm pad is perfect for this gun.

deadbuck

Cutt Down, how did you do it? Is it entirely removed? I called Weatherby and they said it was soldered on and if I heated the sight to remove it I would void my warranty. Just removing the screw only removes the sight guard.

Also, is that picatinny rail aftermarket? Mine is only half that long.

cutt down

Here is a photo of the front blade removed. I simply unscrewed the 1 screw then worked it off the post.

cutt down

Here's a pic of the post. You can see the blade wasn't soldered. The post is soldered on the barrel but it's not in the way & doesn't bother me. 

cutt down

Another pic of the whole rig. The rail is factory. I was worried about it being too tall but the FFlll sits nice on it especially with the Beretta gel pad. I'm telling you that pad is awesome! It can be removed & washed. Supposed to retain it's adhesive. I love this set up!

Jkeiter

I really like that setup as well. May have to look into doing that on my rig after turkey season this year.

deadbuck

Cutt. Mine does not have a set screw like yours, and it has a different(shorter) picatinny rail. I guess Weatherby made some variations to them mid year?

Jkeiter

Now that you mention it...my rail is shorter as well. Factory back sight has the same set screw as the front sight then the rail. Not sure what year mine is now...

cutt down

Quote from: deadbuck on February 24, 2016, 10:30:11 AM
Cutt. Mine does not have a set screw like yours, and it has a different(shorter) picatinny rail. I guess Weatherby made some variations to them mid year?

That stinks. Do you think a red dot would clear the front sight?

cutt down

Quote from: Jkeiter on February 24, 2016, 10:37:32 AM
Now that you mention it...my rail is shorter as well. Factory back sight has the same set screw as the front sight then the rail. Not sure what year mine is now...

Looking at the pic you posted it looks the same as mine but I could be wrong. If your front sight has a set screw on the back side then I'd say it's the same as mine & can be removed. When I removed mine I had to work it back & forth as it was pretty snug on the post but I knew it would come off hence the set screw.

Jkeiter

I sent Weatherby my serial number so hopefully they can tell me what year the gun is. Not a big deal, but I'd just like to know.

codym

Sorry hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I am on the verge of ordering one of these guns just can't make up mind on the 12 or 20. I do have a big question about this guns reliability and quality. No one in my area has one to check out so I would like your opinions and experiences. Obviously you all like them, but how's the overall quality? Does it cycle all ammo well, not overly concerned about light loads but def the heavier 2 3/4 and 3 inch stuff. I have owned just about every make and model semi auto at one point or another and have had my share of problems with cheaper guns and this being a Turkish gun makes me a little hesitant especially since I have to order one sight un seen. It's between this gun in 12 or 20 or a benelli M1 or 2 12 ga. Thanks for your opinions.