turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SBE II/ long beard shooters

Started by bigbird, February 21, 2016, 01:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbird

Anybody want to share their setups with me on here? I'm looking for barrel length, choke/constriction and which long beard shells you are using. Since they've got a few different load speeds and oz. amounts I'm just wondering which you all have tried what is working the best for you. Thanks in advance

Roost 1

Buddy of mine has SBE2 with 24" barrel, JEBS .655, Win Longbeards 3 1/2" 2oz 4s or 5s with excellent results at further distance than we can talk about on here.

taylorjones20

Longbeard #5's.  26" barrel and shorter use a .655 choke.  28" barrel use a .660
Alive only by the Grace Of God

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: taylorjones20 on February 21, 2016, 04:57:26 PM
Longbeard #5's.  26" barrel and shorter use a .655 choke.  28" barrel use a .660

Ok.  So you can regurgitate Rob Roberts recommendations,  but I can tell you you DO NOT need to choke the SBE II that tight, ESPECIALLY with the long beards.  I have quite literally tried almost every single choke made for the SBE II in the last 8 years.  What I've found is that htl doesn't NEED to be choked way down and long beards don't LIKE to be choked way down.  I sold them for almost 10 years and own one.  But that's none of my business right?   ;D
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

taylorjones20

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on February 24, 2016, 10:17:26 AM

Ok.  So you can regurgitate Rob Roberts recommendations,  but I can tell you you DO NOT need to choke the SBE II that tight, ESPECIALLY with the long beards.  I have quite literally tried aalmost every single choke made for the SBE II in the last 8 years.  What I've found is that htl does NEED to be choked way down and long beards don't LIKE to be choked way down.  I sold them for almost 10 years and own one.  But that's none of my business right?   ;D

Not really sure what your issue is here.  He asked for recommendations and that is what the other contributors to this thread have done, unlike yourself.  We are sharing with the OP what has worked for us, which is what the OP asked, not to bash others opinions.  If you have an answer to the original question, share it in the thread without criticizing everyone else's recommendations.   

reynolds243

I shoot a 655 and longbeard 5's with great results. 3" rounds doing about 195 at 40yds and 3.5" around 220.

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."

Sent from my phone sucka

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: taylorjones20 on February 24, 2016, 12:01:30 PM
Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on February 24, 2016, 10:17:26 AM

Ok.  So you can regurgitate Rob Roberts recommendations,  but I can tell you you DO NOT need to choke the SBE II that tight, ESPECIALLY with the long beards.  I have quite literally tried aalmost every single choke made for the SBE II in the last 8 years.  What I've found is that htl does NEED to be choked way down and long beards don't LIKE to be choked way down.  I sold them for almost 10 years and own one.  But that's none of my business right?   ;D

Not really sure what your issue is here.  He asked for recommendations and that is what the other contributors to this thread have done, unlike yourself.  We are sharing with the OP what has worked for us, which is what the OP asked, not to bash others opinions.  If you have an answer to the original question, share it in the thread without criticizing everyone else's recommendations.   

I DID contribute.  You regurgitated info read on other threads from guys that shoot R.R. chokes. Like I said I own one and have sold a ton so you got a professional opinion, not some canned response, however,  if you need further explanation,  the nominal bore for a SBE II is around .724.  The barrel is chrome lined and cannot be polished or altered further unless someone like R.R. lengthens the forcing cone say and then re chromes it.  The SBE's I've shot, sold, worked on and sold accessories for have all-every one liked a choke in the .660-.670 range with lead on the tighter end and htl on the more open.  Thats regular old lead loads, not longbeards, that tend to give the most even patterns with a slightly more open choke, especially with the #4s.  Also longer bodied chokes, with a more extended parallel section and longer post constriction section tend to run better in SBE II's.  Pure Gold .670 chokes for example run phenomenally well in them with just about any type load.  That's a full .015 more open than what you regurgitated.   Any questiins?  Btw do you own a SBE II?  Just for my own informational purposes of course...

taylorjones20

As a matter of fact yes I do own SBEII's.  One with a 28" barrel and one with a 26" barrel.  And between a few of us that hunt together we have 6 total.

Thank you for your opinion.  But, I will continue to recommend to other SBEII owners what I have seen work time and time again.  I shoot RR chokes in my guns with excellent results.  I am not just repeating what I have heard, I am sharing what I have experienced.

I am glad that you have experienced good results with your current set up.  I am also pleased with my current set up and that is what I will continue to share with others when they ask for advice.  If I don't know about a certain gun/choke/shell set up, I have not and will not give any advice.  But since this subject is one that I have experience with, I will share the products that have worked very well for me.

Never once have I said that you were not getting good results with your choke.  I accept the fact that you must believe in the products you are using. Just understand, that it's just your opinion.  Just like what I shared in the thread is my opinion. And that is all the OP asked for.

BTW, I still do not see where you actually contributed to the thread in your first post... You were just criticizing my remarks. 

mightyjoeyoung

You've owned your gun for less than a year if you even own one.  It appears you've gone through no less than 3 different guns in less than a year .  I know this because its in your posts.   I've sold and owned and worked on them for almost as long as you've been hunting.  Pretty sure my professional experience with them is considerably more than yours in the last 8 months.  In the past 30 odd years of turkey hunting I've shot R.R. chokes, had guns worked by him etc..  For the money the ONLY gun I see a benefit for from him IS the Benellis.  Even then, there is a TON of cheaper options that do the same thing. 

taylorjones20

I respect your opinion even though it's just a self proclaimed "professional" opinion.  But it still doesn't change the fact that I am going to recommend to others what has WORKED for me and countless others. 

Step off your high horse and try to help others instead of always bashing others opinions.  Just because you have owned guns for years doesn't in any way mean that you know everything there is to know about a particular gun.  Use what you like, recommend what you like - I will do the same.

Roost 1

JEBS .655 works quite well with longbeards 4s or 5s in the SBE2.

sixbird

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on February 27, 2016, 12:11:10 AM
You've owned your gun for less than a year if you even own one.  It appears you've gone through no less than 3 different guns in less than a year .  I know this because its in your posts.   I've sold and owned and worked on them for almost as long as you've been hunting.  Pretty sure my professional experience with them is considerably more than yours in the last 8 months.  In the past 30 odd years of turkey hunting I've shot R.R. chokes, had guns worked by him etc..  For the money the ONLY gun I see a benefit for from him IS the Benellis.  Even then, there is a TON of cheaper options that do the same thing.

Don't be such a j_ _ _ a _ _ man...The o.p. just asked an opinion. People are offering advice. Maybe you have the credentials you claim. Maybe not. I for one am not impressed either way.You'd do well, like Taylor Jones said, to "get off your high horse" and try to be more civil...
Here's my experience...I have a Super Black Eagle II. It has a 24" bbl. I had the forcing cone lengthened and polished. I've tried a number of chokes using both 3" Magblend 5,6,7. 2 oz. and Longbeard 3" #5 1 3/4 oz. They both shot well with a DND Haymaker .670 and Rob Roberts .655 and a JEBS .655. The R.R. seems to do best.
Hope this helps...

bigbird

Thanks again for the help, I will try to find out what works when I can and try to put the results on here to see. Be safe and don't miss!!

Dtrkyman

I have not tried longbeards but mine shoots well with everything I have tried in it with a 660 jellyhead otiginal...htl loads are for sure best but several lead loads shot well, sorry no number for you but lethal patterns at 40 no problem, from what i have seen the longbeards should do well!

bigbird

I shot the Winchester long beards today with a rob Roberts.655. I didn't count pellets, but with 6's and 4's the patterns were great from both loads. They were the new magnum loads not the original loads.