News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 500 Pump Rattle!!

Started by BDeal, February 17, 2016, 09:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

Greetings-

I recently bought my son the Mossberg Superbantam Youth 20 Gauge Turkey model. I was debating between an 870 and this gun and am very much regretting buying the Mossberg. The guns shoots and functions well but the rattle on the pump is ridiculously loud. My son even commented on it. My questions is: is there anything I can do to quiet the rattle some? It sounds like this is a common issue with this model. I have owned quite a few guns but this is  the first (and likely last) Mossberg.

Thanks

dirt road ninja

My 835 rattles, I don't think there is much that can be done except to deal with it. It honestly has never caused me problems in the woods, at least that I'm aware of.

WV Ridge Reaper

Sounds like two skeletons on a tin roof!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeywhisperer935

I had one, it rattled too. But the way most Mossberg's pattern I'd deal with it.

Izzyjoe

I've seen some mossbergs that rattled bad, and others that didn't. I have a 12ga that I bought in high school, and it doesn't rattle to bad, and that gun has seen more miles than my '69 ford truck! I seen a mossberg store brand gun in a pawnshop, I think it was a coast to coast master mag. But that one rattle so bad that I wouldn't pay the $100 he was asking!

hs strut

the rattle a mossberg has seems to be a hit and miss issue for instance my 535 is quiet as can be while my 500a rattles really bad but for the way they shoot i can handle a little noise.
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

allaboutshooting

Quote from: BDeal on February 17, 2016, 09:03:35 AM
Greetings-

I recently bought my son the Mossberg Superbantam Youth 20 Gauge Turkey model. I was debating between an 870 and this gun and am very much regretting buying the Mossberg. The guns shoots and functions well but the rattle on the pump is ridiculously loud. My son even commented on it. My questions is: is there anything I can do to quiet the rattle some? It sounds like this is a common issue with this model. I have owned quite a few guns but this is  the first (and likely last) Mossberg.

Thanks

I found some narrow Velcro strips, the kind that have adhesive on one side and the fasteners on the other, and put a small strip on each side of the barrel near the forend. I used the "fuzzy" sides and they allow the forend to slide easily. That tightens everything up, makes the forend steady and eliminates any rattle.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Bowguy

500s are notorious rattlers, 835s Ive seen not nearly so. Clark had interesting advice. Try it out

Spring Creek Calls

I used a rubber plumbing gasket on my old 835. Slid over the magazine tube between the barrel nut and the forend. The forend would come to rest against it and was much quieter. I like Clark's idea also.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

BDeal

Spring Creek- You wouldn't happen to have a pic of this would you?

Thanks!!

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: BDeal on February 18, 2016, 11:00:00 AM
Spring Creek- You wouldn't happen to have a pic of this would you?

Thanks!!

I don't, I traded the gun for a muzzleloader several years ago. The 835 had just enough room between the barrel/magazine nut and the forend (in the forward position) to slip this rubber washer in. I had to stretch it out to get it over the magazine tube. This is my recollection from several years ago.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Happy

Get you some felt padding like bowhunters apply to their risers. Put a strip on each side of the forearm where it contacts the barrel and you should be golden. Did it to mine and it helped a lot.
Hope that helps.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

BDeal

Happy-

Can you possibly post a pic of this?

Thank You!!

Happy

Will do when I get home tonight.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

trkehunr93

my 500 and 835 both rattle, honestly it has never effected my hunting at all.  Been listening to that rattle since 1997!