OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What word do you say to make your yelp?

Started by Bwk, February 16, 2016, 05:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bwk

So I'm watching the Cane Creek you tube video on mouth calling, and he says the yelp is the easiest sound to make but the hardest to get to sound good. He was going through what words he said and what you could say to get a yelp. Words like welp, chick, chip, balk, baak and so on. What does everybody say? I think I'm a welp or a baak man myself...

born2hunt

I have never understood the "say this or that word" tip on diaphragms.  I don't say anything,  I blow air over it. Put it in the roof of your mouth and place the mid to back of your tongue against the call and blow air between them.  Once you can get a solid  clean high note, try letting you're tongue pressure off at the end.  You should hear the pitch change to deeper.  Once you get that, just speed the process up to get a yelp. No words involved for me.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Tennessee Lead

I just gag mostly :)

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

MK M GOBL

I use the "welp" pretty much but all kinds of stuff comes out of my mouth so you get that inflection so it sounds more natural. The reason behind the say this "word" associated to making different sounds is so the individual learns mouth, jaw and tongue movements associated with that sound, just like with duck call, goose call, owl call or most any air blown call. In my head it also helps with teaching kids and "New" to using these type calls a foundation of "How to Call" and rhythm. Who doesn't know "Who cooks for you Who cooks for you all...."

MK M GOBL

Jbird22

No words here either. That might help you get started making sounds but to sound more authentic you'll end up ditching the words and running the air across a certain way. Check out these videos made by Shane Simpson and Scott Ellis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uPXoGEZeYg - fast forward to ~8:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwPnzMPp5LQ

rbreedi1

Thunder Ridge Totes

davisd9

It is not actually saying the word but mimicking the motion of how you saw the word. Most people do not have enough jaw movement when using a mouth call.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

I'm trying to learn the huffing method of blowing a mouth call. Del Crow suggested mouthing the word hep but with a little emphasis on the end part. It has helped me alot.

sdriggers

mouth call magic by Scott Ellis is a must for upstart turkey hunters wanting to get into mouth calls

Jbird22

Quote from: 762 on February 17, 2016, 07:39:00 PM
I'm trying to learn the huffing method of blowing a mouth call. Del Crow suggested mouthing the word hep but with a little emphasis on the end part. It has helped me alot.
Del gave you good advice for sure. I've been transitioning to that method myself. This is where I'm at right now:
https://soundcloud.com/jbird_22/hooks-modified-executioner-2

hs strut

i never have been able to say words to make a turkey vocalization. i use air pressure and my jaw to call on a mouth call.
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

Quote from: JBIRD22 on February 17, 2016, 08:45:26 PM
Quote from: 762 on February 17, 2016, 07:39:00 PM
Del gave you good advice for sure. I've been transitioning to that method myself. This is where I'm at right now:
https://soundcloud.com/jbird_22/hooks-modified-executioner-2
Sounding good