Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Turkey chokes

Started by Big perm2, February 15, 2016, 07:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big perm2

Any shoot jebs turkey chokes? I'm thinking about getting one for my 10 ga, I shoot rhino as of now and have a primos jelly head and a kicks gobbling thunder. I shoot nitro company shells..

Talkem into given up!!!

357MAGNOLE

I couldn't justify the price on them. I have been a huge fan of the IC chokes though.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Gumby

Jebs are quality chokes. However, in my opinion there a chokes that perform just as good that don't cost as much. Others may disagree.

tomstopper

Quote from: Gumby on February 18, 2016, 08:46:37 PM
Jebs are quality chokes. However, in my opinion there a chokes that perform just as good that don't cost as much. Others may disagree.
No you are correct. I use a Remington ventilator choke in my 870 with turkey thug size 5's and they out performed a lot of the custom chokes and name brand ammo that I tried. It's absolutely deadly.

ILHUNTER

No jeb's choke here either, heard a lot of good things about them though.  I currently use a tru glo SSX in my Remington 870, but recently bought an indian creek ckoke for it that I am waiting for some good weather to try out.

Gumby

Got out and patterned my 870 youth 20 and my Ithaca 12 today. I'll post pics later.

wmn2

No jebs, I'll be shooting a carlsons this season. Can't wait to see pics gumby. I'm gonna try to get out Monday to pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gumby

Ithaca 12
Briley Factory .675 Choke
Hevi13 #6s 3inch
60 Degrees
Heavy 10-15mph wind

30 Yards:

At 40yds:

I usually shoot the Hevi13 7s and get much higher numbers at 40 yards (215/220 vs 150/160 here with the 6s). I'm switching to the 6s because I want the heavy load and I'm very pleased with the evenness of the pattern. I'm not a number chaser and I like the forgiveness.

Gumby

20 Gauge 870 Youth Express
Carlson .575 non-ported
Fed heavyweight 1.5oz #7s
60 degrees with heavy wind

30 yards:

40 yards:

First time shooting this 20ga with this choke. Awesome pattern that fell off numbers wise at 40 (only 105/110 in 10"). However, the evenness this choke throws is great.

357MAGNOLE

Nice! I can't wait to pattern mine in!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

tomstopper

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: tomstopper on February 19, 2016, 08:44:53 PM
Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on February 19, 2016, 08:13:37 PM
Nice! I can't wait to pattern mine in!
:agreed:

Just checked the weather 61* and sunny tomorrow. Know what I am doing now!

wmn2

Both of those patterns look great! 65 and chance of rain Monday, but I'll be at the range. Got a scope for my 17 yesterday so I've gotta sight that in as well.

kdsberman

Awesom pics and results there Gumby.  Thanks for sharing.

Im jealous of all you warm weather guys.  Im in Michigan and were still hovering around 30 degrees during the day.  I wanna get out and shoot so bad. 

Last year was my first time really getting into patterning like the guys on here.  I did a deep clean on my 835 as "allaboutshooting" recommends.  Then patterned my Nitro H517 load, which is a 2 7/16 oz load of 4x5x7 Hevi Shot out of a Jellyhead .690     I was only able to do a couple shots because Im running low on that particular load.  I was able to get 283 in a 10 @ 40 yards, which I think was pretty good considering it had 4's and 5's in it.

My project this year is to get a TruGlo SSX .670 and pattern Hevi 7's through it (2.25oz). 

HEY, how bout you guys share some of that nice warm patterning weather with us Michigan folks!  haha

Be sure to post pics.

wmn2

I went out today. Drove 45 minutes to the range, get there and the gate is closed. Not open on Mondays. I'm going back out in the morning. Today was perfect too, 68 degrees, no wind and overcast. Tomorrow should be good, but a little cooler.