News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NWTF 2016 HUNTING CALL RESULTS

Started by REBELYELL, February 12, 2016, 12:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antnye

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on February 14, 2016, 10:36:42 AM
Dang.  I have heard so many horror stories over the years.  I mailed a couple in just for the heck of it but was unable to attend.  I don't even know if my calls were entered.  How do you find out?  I have heard of calls being lost or not entered for whatever reason.  I see why some makers have chosen to avoid the competition circuit.

Your scratchers were there Allen. I played them. They sounded great!

KentuckyHeadhunter

Well thank you Anthony.  I appreciate the info too. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

idratherb

I guess Steve Harvey was the guy handling the results.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: idratherb on February 14, 2016, 06:40:19 PM
I guess Steve Harvey was the guy handling the results.
That's just funny!!!

I've never been able to go, I have never been able to get my hands on the vast majority of the call makers calls out there to define for myself, but I do seem to see the same names over and over again and wonder if they are just "that much better" or if its a bit of they are supposed to win or that's who the reoccurring judges prefer.

It is a very subjective thing to try and judge. Each person have a different perfect hen in their head.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BABS9

Im sure they all sound great but to me its just as important how they play. Can they play just as good soft as they do loud. Good purrs and kee kees. I'm sure theres gotta be some biased judging though.

greentag

i played alot of those calls over the weekend,where people play them so much most calls are slick and you cant really tell anything about them,the ones that were actually conditioned were the best sounding,and playing.i wonder if the judges actually take the time to play them conditioned,or if they just play them like they are.i really dont understand who or how they are judged but i go every year and it seems something happens,i dont think they should know who calls they are playing either but they do.i played alot of calls over the weekend and out in the booths al and josh had a few laying out,they had a purpleheart and jatoba that was to me the best sounding box there,it would have came home with me if i hadnt spent all my money before i found them.

KentuckyHeadhunter

[quote author=TauntoHawk.........but I do seem to see the same names over and over again and wonder if they are just "that much better" or if its a bit of they are supposed to win or that's who the reoccurring judges prefer.

Yup.  Agreed.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

trb136

Congrats To all that entered...I was fortunate to get 2nd with my scratchbox. I feel terrible for Al and Josh I was unfortunately standing there with them when this all happened, It also happened to another callmaker where they placed the ribbon on his call and he took pics and was so excited and then they moved it bc they screwed up...Lots of great calls entered this year, I felt I had put my best in and i am sure each of the makers do, But I think I am going to take a long look at whether or not its worth entering anymore. JMO, Thanks Tim

cypresscreek

I was fortunate to have my scratch box come in 5th, first time placing, so I am happy about that. I heard through the grapevine what happened to Al and Josh, that sucks and should not happen at an event like that. I did notice that there seemed to be a lot less box calls entered this year, probably for the reasons stated above.
Rick Ferlita
Cypress Creek Turkey Calls
Mossy Oak Pro Staff

M Sharpe

First of all, let me say congrats to all of those that entered in the competition! There was a mighty fine bunch of calls there!!

This is a thankless job in which one doesn't get compensated for doing. You are there for 7 or 8 hours fulfilling your obligation. I was asked to judge the box call division this year, which I declined. You have to be there before noon on Thursday and I get there about 4 pm. That wasn't the only reason I declined. Personally, I don't want to have to play box calls for 7-8 hours.....that gets old, quick!! I don't have a clue who the judges were. It would be hard to say if they were qualified to even judge them since I don't know who they were. I received an email earlier this year asking if I knew of anyone that might be willing to judge the competition calls this year. This is how they come up with the judges, as far as I know. I am aware of the situation that happened this year!! There is definitely room for improvement!!! There are some changes that could, and should, be made!! I'm not making excuses for anyone!! This should have never happened!!!!!!!! This is not the first time a similar situation like this has occurred and as long as these competitions go on, they will continue to happen!! One year, they had a couple of judges that couldn't play air operated calls. They judged simply by listening to someone else play the calls and how they looked.

Russell and I have been asked about a call makers competition at the Unicoi Call Makers Show. This is the very reason there will never be a call makers competition at this show. Qualified judges are too hard to come by and these things only cause hard feelings between folks. Every person enters a call that he, or she, feels is capable of winning. A ribbon or plastic trophy with a title is not worth losing friendships over!!!!!! Ask that trophy, ribbon, or title to do you a favor or assist you in a time of need!!  So our philosophy is, in order for this to never become a problem....don't start it!! Sooooo, don't even ask about one!!!!!!!!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

M Sharpe

Al, I'm in NO WAY defending them!!! I'm not the one calling it a "mistake" / "or not". You are right with everything that you said!!! There are numerous things wrong with this competition....judges selection being one of them!!!! The custom call makers are pulling out from the show. When the guys entering the calls pull out then they'll have to come up with something else to get money from folks with. This was the 40th convention and the 18th call makers contest, so it is relatively a new deal compared with how long the show has been going on!! I entered calls last year, even placed with one of them; and, that was enough for me!!!  BTW, I didn't think computers made mistakes.... ??? ??? And yes, I think they should publicly apologize to you and Josh for this!!! Which we know that will never happen!!

Al, the weight of my statement lies in the last paragraph of my previous post!!!!!!!!!!! If there isn't a call makers competition, these things will never happen!! I understand your hostility towards the NWTF !!! A lot of people share your same feelings!!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

turkey stew

Same problem different year! Call makers should boycott the Nationals but there are a select few that will not! A computer doesn't make a mistake! Even if one score wasn't put in correctly it would`nt drop a call maker from 1st to nothing! I haven't attended for 3 years for obvious reasons. I`m not a call maker but I know how to run them. I don`t volunteer to score calls because I have friends that enter!

packmule

Maybe next year they can get Steve Harvey to announce the winners   :TooFunny:

Sorry that happened to you Al and Josh. 

drenalinld

After running a bunch of the calls I will say it would be VERY difficult to select winners. Very very good boxes in all categories. I have zero clue how that can happen. Al and Josh made a tremendous pair along with a few killer long boxes. Hate that happened guys. Just awful.

Yelper

I will continue to buy calls from Al & Josh and many other call makers on this site, not because of a Medal but because they make great turkey calls!! Keep up the great work yall do in making some of the best turkey calls out there.  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

Almost forgot, it was nice meeting Al & Josh at the convention