OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mouth call overload??

Started by sticknmofish, February 08, 2016, 06:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

Biggest thing I can tell you is that a "Mouth call" is not going to sound the same from person to person as we all have different shapes, sizes to our mouths (palates) and this does affect the sound we will get from a call. What works for me does not necessarily work for you. Then the worst thing is once you really get comfortable on a call it is either A) no longer made B) design or materials were changed or C) New and Improved. I guess mostly I look for reeds and cuts and go with that, I will say I am always carrying a half dozen different diaphragms with me. IMHO it is way more important to learn "Turkey Rhythm", some "voices" are high, some low and some with more rasp and we try to imitate these voices just like each of us has an individual voice and for the most part we can talk to each other. lol I have a "Northern Accent" as it was described to me :)
Last part of this is confidence, seems funny to me but so many people I talk with, teach and such that do sound "good" think they don't and have a lack of confidence in their calling skills. Don't know that it's a mindset or what with me but when I enter the timber it's in my head that I am going to call "one" in, not how am I going to be able too...

MK M GOBL

GobbleNut

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 17, 2016, 06:38:23 AM
Biggest thing I can tell you is that a "Mouth call" is not going to sound the same from person to person as we all have different shapes, sizes to our mouths (palates) and this does affect the sound we will get from a call. What works for me does not necessarily work for you. Then the worst thing is once you really get comfortable on a call it is either A) no longer made B) design or materials were changed or C) New and Improved. I guess mostly I look for reeds and cuts and go with that.

MK M GOBL

This^^^
I suspect that too many guys that are learning how to use mouth calls do not understand that the learning process is more important initially than the call itself.  Basically, learn how to call first and then explore which kinds of calls work best for you.  Brands and cost of calls are irrelevant until you learn how to use a mouth call first.  Once someone knows the basic mechanics of mouth call use, then they can begin the process of sorting through all the variables of reed cuts, reed thicknesses, numbers of reeds, reed spacing, tightness of reeds, and yada, yada, yada,....until they stumble upon what is the best call design,...and less importantly, brand,...for how they blow a mouth call. 

Bigfoot

try gooserbat calls.  His calls are easy to blow and man are they consistent.

sticknmofish

Thanks for the replies! I have been running mouth calls for over 20 years but until I started getting on this site I did not know how many options there was. I am partial to my yellow yelpers and liked the pittmans black and white diamonds but always looking for something better. I will give some of the ones mentioned a try to see if I like them any better, I just got the black death pack of woodhavens and so far I am not impressed (to hard to blow) so maybe another will be better.

mspaci

I tried a bunch but always go back to my 2 favorites, Quaker boy pro triple & a Butski cutting caller 4.  Mike

tha bugman

Try a Hooks Executioner....you won't be disappointed.  Also, Houndstooth Tom Bomb....and my personal favorite is the Dixie Yelper from Headcrusher.

LBA

XT Outdoors (aka XT Calls) get in touch with them. Really good stuff! 7248776951 they will get right on your order

Dr Juice

Hooks Executioner and a good Old Boss Hen by QB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Quote from: LBA on February 27, 2016, 12:33:40 PM
XT Outdoors (aka XT Calls) get in touch with them. Really good stuff! 7248776951 they will get right on your order

I would be careful.  I have heard multiple not-too-positive reports from folks dealing with them.

tha bugman

I have wondered about that one!
Quote from: BT on February 16, 2016, 10:34:46 PM
I like Tom Teaser's Cracked Corn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk