turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

USE THE FREAKIN SEARCH FEATURE!

Started by gophert, February 08, 2016, 10:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gophert

I don't mean this directed at anyone specific, but as I look down through the threads, I am tired of reading the same questions, over and over and over. 

The REM 870 20 ga is by far the most used 20 ga.  Therefore there are numerous discussions about what is the best load/choke combo.  And that goes for mossberg, benelli and all the others. There are multiple pattern pictures in the pattern section of every load/choke imaginable. 

PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BUTTON before asking the same freaking questions over and over and over. 

Moderators....can we please get a "USE THE SEARCH FEATURE" emoji so I can get my post count up to 10,000!

Rant over.....carry on!

okiegobblers

So gophert...what is the best load/choke combination for a Remington 870 20 gauge? ;)

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

gophert

Quote from: okiegobblers on February 08, 2016, 10:42:56 AM
So gophert...what is the best load/choke combination for a Remington 870 20 gauge? ;)

In the amount of time it takes someone to type out the question, they could search and have every answer for the past 5 years.  I do appreciate the humor but we all know we are tired of seeing it. 

okiegobblers

Gophert I do see your point. I just respectively disagree. Any question that could be asked probably has been asked in one form or another. It's fun for newer members to post questions and get responses. If we want everyone to use a search function before they post then this would effectively become a dead discussion board. I like OG as it connects me to the sport I love 365 days a year. Repeated questions just don't bother me that much.

357MAGNOLE

I have started a couple of the recent threads and I get that the info may be pre-existing. Some things change, people try different stuff over time and find things they would change and do change. I do use the search, but I still like to ask. It's a message board, it's for discussion. I could most likely search and find information for nearly every shotgun combo known to man but the message boards would be dead if no one posted.  Plus many threads are old and have unanswered questions in them.

My opinion isn't worth dirt to anyone who doesn't know me but with over 10 years on multiple forums my experience is questions are repeated all the time, the search function is great but varies from forum to forum. It's also a numbers game that keeps a forum up and running. Low numbers don't help.

I'll reframe from any more asking about the 870. I have most of what I'm looking for. Didn't realize folks took offense to questions.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

kwild835

I see both sides, sometimes a similar question will have 3 threads going at once.  That's a little ridiculous.  Also, though, like okiegobblers said it would be a dead forum without questions being asked.

I get the most helpful info by doing a search, then pm the guys that have a similar setup.  99% of the guys on these forums will answer every question and go above and beyond to help.

owlhoot

Good tip to use the search!
Now a little ribbing humor , try the decaf  :wave:

357MAGNOLE

Agreed. I do the same typically. I PM'd 2 folks in regards to the Sumtoy chokes I have seen them talk about. Most everyone here is great and willing to help, not many (none I have PM'd) have told me to kick rocks or ignored me. That's what a forum is for, like minded folks helping each other out. It's educational and fun. No one signed up because they hate talking about their hobby.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

gophert

Quote from: owlhoot on February 08, 2016, 11:01:30 AM

Drank my first ever cup of decaf last week, I am trying for sure!

OldSchool

I understand what you're saying and I've thought the same thing, but think of the folks that maybe aren't members but do some reading here from time to time, absorbing all this great turkey talk. They may not think of the search feature and it wouldn't be right to deprive anybody of all this wonderful info that crops up on a regular basis. ;)

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: gophert on February 08, 2016, 11:08:42 AM
Quote from: owlhoot on February 08, 2016, 11:01:30 AM

Drank my first ever cup of decaf last week, I am trying for sure!

Interesting fact about coffee. Regular and Decaf is made from the same plant. The regular coffee is made from the beans of the plant while the Decaf is made from the dirt around the roots :)

drenalinld

Here's a tip. Scroll on and dont' read the questions if it bothers you so much.

gophert

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on February 08, 2016, 11:03:04 AM
Agreed. I do the same typically. I PM'd 2 folks in regards to the Sumtoy chokes I have seen them talk about. Most everyone here is great and willing to help, not many (none I have PM'd) have told me to kick rocks or ignored me. That's what a forum is for, like minded folks helping each other out. It's educational and fun. No one signed up because they hate talking about their hobby.

I'm definitely not trying to single you out for sure.  I have 2 870 20 ga's (well only 1 now) and have helped everyone that has asked me about those guns.  I chime in from time to time. I just wish everyone would go a little deeper than "whats the best load/choke combo etc". 

Maybe more like, I've searched the threads and narrowed my choices down to 2 different chokes.  Why should I chose option 1 over option 2 or vise versa.  Those questions stimulate deeper discussions and help people make the choice without having to buy every choke on the market.

I hope ya'll are following my thoughts.  Don't mean to be confrontational, just want to stimulate DIFFERENT discussions verses the same ol dead horses we beat leading up to season.   :deadhorse:

gophert

Quote from: drenalinld on February 08, 2016, 11:15:41 AM
Here's a tip. Scroll on and dont' read the questions if it bothers you so much.

It was that tip that prompted me to write the post!  I did scroll and the more I scrolled, the more you see the same question asked over and over. 

9 posts on just the 1st page of the 20 ga section asking for shell/choke combo for either the 870 or Mossberg. 

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: gophert on February 08, 2016, 11:17:17 AM
Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on February 08, 2016, 11:03:04 AM

I'm definitely not trying to single you out for sure.  I have 2 870 20 ga's (well only 1 now) and have helped everyone that has asked me about those guns.  I chime in from time to time. I just wish everyone would go a little deeper than "whats the best load/choke combo etc". 

Maybe more like, I've searched the threads and narrowed my choices down to 2 different chokes.  Why should I chose option 1 over option 2 or vise versa.  Those questions stimulate deeper discussions and help people make the choice without having to buy every choke on the market.

I hope ya'll are following my thoughts.  Don't mean to be confrontational, just want to stimulate DIFFERENT discussions verses the same ol dead horses we beat leading up to season.   

I got you. My thread originate as I already had an IC .555, what few off the shelf loads should I go ahead and buy to see what my gun likes. It evolved from there because most everyone seemed to love the heavy weight 7's but IC says not to shoot those from their chokes. So I changed the thread to shells/choke combos. I plan to shoot 3 chokes, with 3 different shells to find my best option. Kinda where I wanted my thread to go. I have no problem dropping some coin on different options to find the best for my setup. Chokes I can resell.