OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi 13 recoil from 11-87

Started by vman, February 08, 2016, 08:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vman

Thinking of trying Hevi 13, 3" 2oz 6's out of my 11-87 Special Purpose choked with and Indian Creek BD .665. What kind of recoil are these shells producing? I don't personally know anyone shooting the shell out of the same gun, but from what I read online I can't seem to find an answer, some say its substantial, some say not. Any input would be appreciated.

BandedSpur

Recoil from that shell in that gun is substantial, but very manageable compared to other turkey loads out there, e.g. Hevi MagBlends. The Hevi shells you mention have a nominal velocity of 1090 fps vs 1200 for the MBs. Also, your gun is heavy and gas operated, both of which help you in the recoil department. My 26" 1187 with sling and FF II weighs 8.75#. That weight soaks up a lot of recoil.

If recoil is still too much, you can always drop back to 2.75" loads.

Longshanks

I'm getting ready to try the same shell through a Rem 870SM/ Hevi 13 .662 choke. I would imagine it will kick like a mule but I found these shells for 19.99 a box and couldn't pass it up. Have several boxes and hoping I can get some decent results.

vman

Thanks for the reply Banded, have the FFIII on my gun. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm planning on patterning once the weather warms up a bit here in NJ.

owlhoot

Get that new super -cell pad on them Remington's and it will make a big difference  :morning:

allaboutshooting

Quote from: vman on February 08, 2016, 08:50:14 AM
Thinking of trying Hevi 13, 3" 2oz 6's out of my 11-87 Special Purpose choked with and Indian Creek BD .665. What kind of recoil are these shells producing? I don't personally know anyone shooting the shell out of the same gun, but from what I read online I can't seem to find an answer, some say its substantial, some say not. Any input would be appreciated.

It's very manageable.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Fieldturkey

I have the same gun and shoot the 2oz hevi 7. To be honest it's one of the lightest recoiling guns I shoot in regards to turkey loads. It's not much worse than my 20ga 870. Felt recoil is very subjective tho.

vman

Bigfoot

I shoot the exact same shell with the exact same gun.  It's pretty nasty for recoil.

FL-Boss

it's hits a little, but nothing like those black Winchester turkey loads..  :z-dizzy:

11-87 is a very forgiving gun since it's gas.

If you dont like it, maybe try some 2.75in turkey loads... or get a 20GA and never look back  :)

Neill_Prater

I've owned an 11-87 for almost 25 years, and the felt recoil is noticeably less than in many other guns I've shot magnum loads through, especially fixed action guns like pumps. Put a good recoil pad on it, and you will get about as "comfortable" felt recoil as  you will find.

mudhen

All good/great replies...

Pretty good shell...I shoot the 3.5" version now, but will probably eventually go to the 3" as my shoulder gets older...7's are good too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Cutt

I've been shooting 3.5 hevi out of my 11-87, and honestly think the recoil is less than my old Mossberg pump shooting 3 in. loads. Mine is the Super Mag which is intended for heavy loads, and handles the recoil very well.

turkeywhisperer935

Recoil won't be bad at all for a turkey shell.

vman

The 11-87 is pretty soft on recoil so looking forward to shooting them. Just ordered a few boxes of 3"  6's and will shoot them when it warms up a bit. Thanks again for the replies!