turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Deadliest wood in the turkey woods

Started by packmule, February 07, 2016, 11:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtntopBarry

Walnut is my wood of choice for pot calls. Slate or copper on top. I just don't think you can go wrong with walnut.

strutnrut

Walnut is a great wood and a fantastic call but I'm starting to like Black Limba a lot also. For box calls I sure like Snakewood.  Walnut or Limba topped with snakewood is a great choice.

Hersh

I prefer Cedar for troughs, persimmon for pots and purple heart over poplar for box call. Ryan

ncturkey

I got two favorite pot calls. A maple slate and Osage Bronzed glass. I use wormy persimmon, Ebony and Paduck and multi wood laminate strikers I use on both of these pot callers.
As for box calls I have three favorites. The Walnut over Antigue Bald Cypress short box is my top choice. Second is my Maple over Minerial Stained Poplar Short Box. My third is my newest box call. It is a Walnut over Butternut. The Antique Bald Cypress and the Butternut boxes were made from very special wood. The Cypress is from wood from the mid 1800's. And Butternut was harvested back in 1982 in the North Carolina Mountains.

ridgerunner

Walnut being my favorite

Walnut
poplar
cedar
purpleheart
cherry

paboxcall

For a scratch box, hard to beat cedar and walnut.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Dr Juice

Quote from: mossyhorn2 on February 14, 2016, 10:58:42 PM
I think walnut is like a 30-06. It works on just about everything. I also like cherry  and cedar.
X2. Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trb136

Best combo for box IMO ..I like walnut over butternut or Maple over butternut..

beakbuster10

Purple Heart over cedar has killed a lot of gobblers for me. But I have to say I have a call that is extremely special. It's $15 hs strut natural cedar over cedar with a plastic sound board. I got it when I was 10 years old. I dropped it on concrete when I was 15 and some of the sound board chipped off on the left side of the box. The stars must have been aligned when it broke, because it has killed more turkeys than anything else I've got since it "broke".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gergg

For the scratch boxes I make.....the black walnut imparts a beautiful, rich, hollow tone, the mahogany is a bit sharper and more rasp. I have tried some spruce for soundboards like what I build my guitars with, but it just doesn't have the right turkey sound to it.

Cedar
Black Walnut
Honduras Mahogany
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

quavers59

Black Walnut is my 1st choice for pot calls. I like black walnut also for boxes. I have a beautiful solid red cedar box matched with a black walnut lid made by Melvin Newman.I love using that box where I hunt in New York's tough public lands.

boatpaddle

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

packmule

Lots of great input...and lots of great woods to choose from but walnut appears in almost every post so far!

birdman67

I would say walnut, purpleheart, and cherry for me.
Loving God's Creation!