turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Deadliest wood in the turkey woods

Started by packmule, February 07, 2016, 11:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

packmule

I've been thinking a lot about this lately as I'm running my pot calls, box calls, scratch boxes, etc.  A few wood types are good options for many of these calls.  As I started thinking back over the great calls I've hunted the past few years I see some definite patterns.  What are the wood types that are deadliest in the calls you use?

For me the list goes like this:
(1) Walnut
(2) Mahogany
(3) Cedar

It seems like Walnut has been involved in many of my successful hunts, even if it was just a striker top on a 2 piece striker.  But mahogany and cedar have been responsible for a bunch of successes too.....this past year I've acquired several calls with Limba and am thinking that will be great in the future.

outdoors

THE THREE YOU HAVE LISTED
IVE HAD NICE CALLS MADE OF MINERIZED POPLAR
THATS FOR DOMESTIC
EXOTICS ARE DIFFERANT ...............
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Yoder409

The boxcall I have used 99.9% of the time for the last 25 years is a glued call.........   Cherry paddle and base, walnut end blocks and poplar soundboards.

In Cost-style boxes I am really partial to walnut over poplar, walnut over mahogany and walnut over butternut. 

Lots to be said for purpleheart on mahogany as well.

So for the most part, I'm right there with that handful of classic woods.......

Walnut
Poplar
Butternut
Mahogany
Purpleheart

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

KentuckyHeadhunter

If I could only pick two it would be walnut and Cedar.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

paboxcall

I've had a walnut over walnut glued box for many, many years that's truck more birds then anything else I have ever carried.  I think walnut ranks way up there on this list.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

perrytrails

Interesting topic...

Walnut pots
Hickory strikers for me

Gotta put Purple Heart way up there.

Cedar, mahogany, popular, maple

mgm1955

Snakewood, bloodwood, butternut, black limba, mineral poplar

larry9988

As far as box calls, purpleheart on cedar and walnut. Also like walnut and cherry on poplar and butternut. I like a zebra wood pot and walnut pots. In a trumpet I like cocobolo and osage. So for domestic woods that would be cedar, poplar, butternut, osage. Exotic purpleheart, cocobolo and zebra.

Clardh

I'm surprised no one mentioned chestnut

bbcustomboxcalls

For Box calls:
Honduras Mahogany
Black Walnut
Poplar

For Pot calls:
Claro Walnut
Myrtlewood
Cherry

Just to name a few.
Bill

M Sharpe

For long boxes, bloodwood over walnut, short boxes: walnut over walnut or walnut over Honduras mahogany, Richard Hudson's hen boxes: snakewood over teak

Pot calls: walnut
To my ears, walnut is like a fine wine, it just gets better with age.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Gooserbat

Lids are maple, walnut, jatoba, and purple heart.  Body would be cedar, mahogany, cherry, and sycamore.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ferocious calls

I have an all Sycamore short box that does it for me. Also an all Wormy Chestnut short box that breaks a lot of hearts. Made one from all Osage that Lonnie Sneed Sr. said was the best sounding box he ever heard. Great sounding calls can be made from most hardwoods once we dial it in.

mossyhorn2

I think walnut is like a 30-06. It works on just about everything. I also like cherry  and cedar.

packmule

Quote from: mossyhorn2 on February 14, 2016, 10:58:42 PM
I think walnut is like a 30-06. It works on just about everything.

Totally agree.