North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Where are you hunting

Started by hookedspur, February 06, 2016, 09:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hookedspur

Quote from: anthonyjhallen on February 20, 2016, 02:52:54 PM
I am taking 30 days leave. It's going to be awesome.

As of now I have confirmed TX all season and NC 17-23APR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to get to Texas in the next year or two, it's been on my list to long now ...
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

anthonyjhallen

Quote from: hookedspur on February 21, 2016, 07:44:22 AM
Quote from: anthonyjhallen on February 20, 2016, 02:52:54 PM
I am taking 30 days leave. It's going to be awesome.

As of now I have confirmed TX all season and NC 17-23APR.

I need to get to Texas in the next year or two, it's been on my list to long now ...

TX is nice. The birds act a little different but they are still fun to hunt.

wvmntnhick

Act different how, exactly? Are they funny? Run to the sound of a gobble and away from the sweet seductive calls of a hen? Just curious.

anthonyjhallen

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 21, 2016, 06:36:19 PM
Act different how, exactly? Are they funny? Run to the sound of a gobble and away from the sweet seductive calls of a hen? Just curious.

Well, for one they almost shut down in the evenings. Compared to the Easterns I grew I up hunting who are just as vocal in the afternoons they almost seem to disappear. Next, locator calls are not nearly as effective as they are on Easterns birds.  A loud box is my go to locator. I do have a coyote howler that I am going to try this year that I have high hopes for. Finally, they don't seem to gobble much on their own. I think it's because of the amount predators that have them on edge. Rarely have I heard a Rio gobble on his own without any coaxing.

vicksburg

Quote from: honker22 on February 12, 2016, 03:58:55 PM
MS, La, Bama... Quinn do NOT poach on my place this year!

Poach?!?!

I just don't want the birds to get lonely when you are back home in LA...
]

wvmntnhick

Quote from: anthonyjhallen on February 22, 2016, 07:12:52 AM

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 21, 2016, 06:36:19 PM

Well, for one they almost shut down in the evenings. Compared to the Easterns I grew I up hunting who are just as vocal in the afternoons they almost seem to disappear. Next, locator calls are not nearly as effective as they are on Easterns birds.  A loud box is my go to locator. I do have a coyote howler that I am going to try this year that I have high hopes for. Finally, they don't seem to gobble much on their own. I think it's because of the amount predators that have them on edge. Rarely have I heard a Rio gobble on his own without any coaxing.

Gotcha. I can live with that.

Roost 1

Are you hunting public land? My experience with Rios is just the opposite but I've only hunted private land... To me they are the easiest sub-species to hunt.. Very loud mouthed.

anthonyjhallen

Quote from: Roost 1 on February 22, 2016, 06:29:41 PM
Are you hunting public land? My experience with Rios is just the opposite but I've only hunted private land... To me they are the easiest sub-species to hunt.. Very loud mouthed.

Yes, I hunt on FT Hood. It's considered public land. The birds get hammered the first week of the season.

GobbleNut

Quote from: anthonyjhallen on February 23, 2016, 07:08:16 AM

Quote from: Roost 1 on February 22, 2016, 06:29:41 PM

Yes, I hunt on FT Hood. It's considered public land. The birds get hammered the first week of the season.

As with all of the subspecies, it's all a matter of where and when you are hunting them...

wvmntnhick

I can only speak of eastern's but I'd like to say AMEN! Up home the birds are not the same as here. Around here a bird will gobble all day from the time he wakes until he goes to sleep. Back home, lots of them get tight lipped after fly down. Lots of predators there and there's plenty of hunters as well. Unless someone is trespassing here, I've got the run of the land. That impacts birds desire to speak.

cmadams

Unfortunately just nc this year to many kids lol so anyone that's this way and wants to hunt just give me the word and I'll put u on a bird

snapper1982

anthonyjhallen

Quote from: snapper1982 on February 27, 2016, 12:11:53 AM
What part of NC?

About as far southwest as you can go.

snapper1982

Well it sounds like i will be close April 2-6. Going to be hunting around Athens Tennessee