Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Welcome and Get to know each other

Started by jepcho, February 06, 2016, 09:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

Already seeing them strutting in the fields?

Pretty awesome, I haven't seen the Toms with the Hens yet. They are still separate here from what I have seen.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

wmn2

Yea. Today was the first day strutting. The rest of the times they were feeding. It's nice seeing them that's for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdsberman

Sorry for neglecting the team lately.  Been super busy.  I havent seen any strutting here in MI yet, although its a tad early.  The other day though we got teased with a 51 degree day and the sun shining, made me feel like i should be in the turkey woods.  And now were back to 20 degree weather and expecting 10" of snow on thursday.

I did just find me an unopened original Star Dot choke though, so that brightened my day. 

jepcho

Quote from: kdsberman on February 22, 2016, 08:47:22 PM
Sorry for neglecting the team lately.  Been super busy.  I havent seen any strutting here in MI yet, although its a tad early.  The other day though we got teased with a 51 degree day and the sun shining, made me feel like i should be in the turkey woods.  And now were back to 20 degree weather and expecting 10" of snow on thursday.

I did just find me an unopened original Star Dot choke though, so that brightened my day. 

Same here man, I've just been super busy.  I promise to be more active. 

Went out driving around and saw a few the other day, nothing strutting yet.  We still have quite a bit of snow on the ground, although some of it is slowly starting to melt away.

357MAGNOLE

I did a 3 hour round trip today through the country and lots of AG fields. Looked the entire time and didn't see anything yet. Ready for the activity to start up!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

ILHUNTER

I've been see a few groups here and there in the ag fields around home.  Haven't been back in to check my honey hole yet.  It is half mile from any roads so u got to walk to get to it.  Last year I went and checked it out 2 weeks before youth season and was surprised with 72 turkeys, 3 toms, 20 jakes and rest were hens.  Hope they are still all around this year.

WNCTracker

Was out hoofing for quail last night in some brush fields. I sat down to take a break and heard some yelping and within 15 mins had about 25-30 birds within 40-50 yards. Mix of hens jakes and toms. why is it always so easy to get close to turkeys out of season ....

Hunter1979

Going to shoot (hopefully) some of those white sky rats...aka snow geese next weekend.  The weekend after I will be putting out 2 or 3 trail cameras (maybe more) and begin scouting.

wmn2

I've got 3 trail cams out right now. Going tuesday to pull them. They will have been out for 2 months so hopefully I have something good to show.

WNCTracker

Quote from: wmn2 on February 23, 2016, 08:57:35 PM
I've got 3 trail cams out right now. Going tuesday to pull them. They will have been out for 2 months so hopefully I have something good to show.
well....where are the bird pics?

wmn2

Didn't make it out unfortunately. Busy with kids doctor's and dentist appointments on my days off. I'm off again thursday-monday next week so I will be going out then to get them. They've been out since the beginning of january so I should have some good pics for you guys.

357MAGNOLE

Hopefully any way. Reminds me of my first attempt at a trail camera. Left it out 2 months, picked it up to discover that the motion sensor didn't work. I was pissed to say the least

wmn2

I've been running these same 3 for about 3 years now so I'm confident they will be fine. All 3 are in brand new spots though so who knows, maybe I picked a bad spot. We'll see in about a week.