News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 Youth build (any info will help)

Started by 357MAGNOLE, January 28, 2016, 09:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: Bowguy on February 03, 2016, 03:11:18 PM
Just a typically different view on the chokes for kids. Kids are excitable n we often get one chance with em. I never use turkey chokes with little/very young kids. You prob aren't going to let them take less than a safe shot n a slightly more rounded pattern that has some safe room is what I normally do w kids
Excellent advice.  It would be a good idea then to have 2 choke/load setups.  One with a good pattern from 15-30 for the kids and another with a tighter pattern out to 40. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

357MAGNOLE

Well I got the first steps out of the way. Bought the IC .555 choke out of the for sale forum.

Then decided to bite the bullet and pick up this little thing. She is tiny compared to my Stoeger. Kind of exciting. I hope I can find a great load combo. Might even make some in TSS.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Greg Massey

Nice gun, glad you got it..i know your excite...i really enjoyed putting mine together...

357MAGNOLE

Yep. I went home and ordered the sureshot stock for the 870 20 gauge off Midwayusa's website.

Ill get it in and take it to the local smith for a drill/tap.

Then to try and find someone to hydro dip it.  After that probably going to polish out the barrel and find either a lower power scope or a red dot of some form.  Then hydro it to match.

I am thinking of doing some kind of bottom land camo dip for this one but not sure, might try and get the Obsession.  I wear obsession in the woods, so probably best to stick with it. Either way it needs to be coated, the finish is not all that impressive. Gun looks great now, but it looks porous and susceptible to rust.

davisd9

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on February 04, 2016, 11:55:49 PM
Yep. I went home and ordered the sureshot stock for the 870 20 gauge off Midwayusa's website.

Ill get it in and take it to the local smith for a drill/tap.

Then to try and find someone to hydro dip it.  After that probably going to polish out the barrel and find either a lower power scope or a red dot of some form.  Then hydro it to match.

I am thinking of doing some kind of bottom land camo dip for this one but not sure, might try and get the Obsession.  I wear obsession in the woods, so probably best to stick with it. Either way it needs to be coated, the finish is not all that impressive. Gun looks great now, but it looks porous and susceptible to rust.

What is the green up like in your area of Virginia at the beginning of the season?  I know sometimes here that obsession sticks out in the early part of the season cause it is actually greener than the foliage.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

357MAGNOLE

Well we have a lot of holleys here and they stay green. 80% of the area has Holley shrubs and white oaks. By the halfway point of turkey season everything seems to be green again and in full bloom. I also have some other types of little shrubs that only grow about waist high that are green before the season starts. Whatever space the holleys and white oaks don't take up these fill in pretty well.

Greg Massey

I mounted a low power simmons pro diamond 1.5 - 5 x 32 on my gun..i really like that scope for the money..you will like the sureshot stock...just make sure it's for the 20 ga, the stock..

357MAGNOLE

Gregg,

I double checked at checkout! I am typing this as I am waiting on the wife to finish getting ready, taking the 870 to a smith for the drill and tap. It will take a week or two to get it back but let's me figure out the route I want to go on camo for the finish.

Thinking about replicating what I did on this old Charles Dailey I got 12 years ago.

Greg Massey

Something else i did was order a box of 25 federal premium pheasant loads in a 3 in. 1 1/4 oz. number 5 these are buffered to sight the gun and scope ..lot cheaper than the box of 5 or 10 for 20 - 30 dollars..i just started out with a cheap box of target loads to get it on paper.. The pheasant loads will give you more range as you increase the target distance ...

SCTrky10

I bought this one for my son awhile back. He is still too young to carry it, so I converted for myself. Went with Shurshot, TruGlo Pro Gobble Dot, Remington Super Full, HW #7s. I hope to get it on paper soon and see what it will do.

Greg Massey

357 Magnole  and SCTrky10 something else you might need is the cap sling swivels ...what i got was the Uncle Mikes Quick Detachable Remington 870/870 youth 20 ga. external ratchet cap set sling swivels ( blued 1-inch loop. You can get these off amazon... 357 Magnole if your taking your to a gun smith for drill and tap you may want to get your cap drill and fixed for a sling swivel attachment ..

357MAGNOLE

Great idea! I did not even think about that.  Ill have to call him and have him add that in.

357MAGNOLE

Probably going to order my scope setup this week. Looking at the Leopoldo VX-1 turkey plex. Decided size, weight and quality of glass are important factors so I think this is the best scope for my setup.  It also has the "turkey plex" reticle.

Greg Massey

Nice scope .. not a lot of eye relief but i think on the 20 ga. it will be fine...With that scope you may be able to use low rings..

357MAGNOLE

I was planning on it. Then again with the sure shot stock I was wondering if the low rings would cause it to be too low.... Any ideas?