OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 Youth build (any info will help)

Started by 357MAGNOLE, January 28, 2016, 09:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

It was $248.99 today it was $287.99 so I left it on the shelf. I had a random unexpected expense pop up so I had to back off or else I probably still would have gotten it.

I'll still get it, just need to wait a couple more weeks. Thanks for all the info thus far, in the mean time I'm looking into TSS and studying up on it.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Greg Massey

Jordan...i wouldn't drill and tap because you limit yourself to just whatever you have mounted on the rail. Old saddle mounts years ago weren't built that good..i have 2 guns with saddle mounts a 12 ga. with a nikon turkey pro scope and i will put this gun up again any gun on this site...I also have a 20 ga. with the B Square and i will put it up again any gun on this site,,With these good saddle mounts you can use your iron sights at anytime...i bet you can't do that with drill and tap..

357MAGNOLE

I understand what you are saying, but what I find is out to about 30-40 yards my iron sights are rarely on target and I have to remember my kentucky windage. I am a big fan of red dots. I understand iron sights don't run out of battery or have flaws and what not. But it my 10 years (not much compared to most here) I have not had a failure of an electronic device.  Not to mention..... Some red dots dont use batteries :)

This pretty little thing here runs off light/tritium. Costs more than my shotgun, but you know....  :toothy9:

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Greg Massey

Like i said if you want to drill them go ahead and pay the 100 dollars or more to have it done...Buts that's crazy...you can't shot the difference from one that has a saddle or one that is drilled..

357MAGNOLE

Greg,

Listen man. I'm feeling pretty good right now..... Bacardi is my friend.  But I just want to say your experience and input is appreciated and respected. I'm kind of nervous to try a b square mount because I have read of the pins that for in the frame having issues. That's the only reason I avoid it. Have you ever had that issue?

I originally looked into this mount for a SX3 last year and that was the info I kept finding. Maybe it was isolated to that particular model.

Greg Massey

No..the mount is solid and you want have a problem with it or the pins...the mount is a great saddle mount..In the 20 ga. your shooting a gun with less recoil...it's nothing like a 12 ga.. But i do have also a 12 ga. with saddle mount and have hunted 4 years with it and had no problem and i have kill turkey with both using iron sights and the scopes i have on them also..i wouldn't have it any other way...

Greg Massey

I also have two of those pretty little guns...AR 10 and AR 15 are nice to have...that's a nice one you have..and you are right you will have more in those guns than most any shotgun...

357MAGNOLE

They are fun toys. It's a 9mm CZ Scorpion SBR.

Absolute blast to shoot.

Gooserbat

I picked one up yesterday.  Thinking sure shot stock and sumtoy.  I already have a set of mag gobble dots for a remmy.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

gophert

No problems to drill and tap the 870 20 ga.  I have 2 both with FFII's and both are mounted directly to receiver with 336 mount. It can be done.

Sent from my typewriter

jordanz7935

Greg, I have 2 d&t'd 20 GA's with red dots. You can look underneath both red dots and use the bead.Its not ideal,sight window is small but would work in a pinch.Also there is such a thing as see through scope mounts,which I hate as much as a saddle mount,and quick disconnect bases and rings .What are we betting on here?Ill agree with you on one thing, $100+ is crazy to have a gun d&t'd,I paid $70 including the rail on one and $45 on the other. If your so confident in your guns you should enter the next nwtf still target competition and see if you can back that statement up. Theres more then a couple gun's on "here" to go up against at the shoot.

Greg Massey

Hey Jordan what kind of red dots are you using that you can see underneath and see the sights. i have a red dot Bushnell TRS mounted on a Mossberg 500 that was a special turkey gun with ported barrel and tractial stock. They were only so many made just special for the NWTF Banquets. I have a weaver rail mounted on because it came drill and tap from the factory. With the Bushnell red dot mounted no way i can see the sight's so i'm interested in what kind of red dot you have and how it's mounted..

jordanz7935

Trs'25 on my single shot Baikal and el cheapo truglo dual color 30mm on the 870. The rails on my guns are weavers. they are the rails that don't have the full length slots going across like a picatinny rail does.so I guess it's that type of rail that allow me to do see under the red dots. like I said not ideal but would work if needed

Bowguy

Just a typically different view on the chokes for kids. Kids are excitable n we often get one chance with em. I never use turkey chokes with little/very young kids. You prob aren't going to let them take less than a safe shot n a slightly more rounded pattern that has some safe room is what I normally do w kids