OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

10 Gauge NEF -1st Post

Started by BKS, January 20, 2016, 03:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BKS

I'm new to the forum, thanks for letting me in.
I have an NEF 10 ga the 24" Turkey model. I have never turkey hunted before but hope to try it this year.
I sent the guy in the classifieds a message about buying his choke tube.

I was thinking of maybe having the forcing cone lengthened in this gun, anyone done it?
What about sighting options? It only has the brass bead but is drilled and tapped.

HoutzNWTF

Hi there, I have the same gun and I did have the forcing cone lengthened and the barrel ported by Rob Roberts. Unfortunately I don't know if it made any difference good or bad because I bought the gun brand new and took it to them before I ever shot it. I have read a good bit about it and I don't think I would do it again. There are not many sighting options for these guns as is...   but you can do one of two things. Remove the small brass bead and have the hole threaded to a more common size and replace with a fiber optic bead or bead of your choice. Or get a pair of Weaver #19 bases and mount a scope or red dot sight.

tha bugman

Quote from: HoutzNWTF on January 20, 2016, 08:34:07 PM
Hi there, I have the same gun and I did have the forcing cone lengthened and the barrel ported by Rob Roberts. Unfortunately I don't know if it made any difference good or bad because I bought the gun brand new and took it to them before I ever shot it. I have read a good bit about it and I don't think I would do it again. There are not many sighting options for these guns as is...   but you can do one of two things. Remove the small brass bead and have the hole threaded to a more common size and replace with a fiber optic bead or bead of your choice. Or get a pair of Weaver #19 bases and mount a scope or red dot sight.
I am thinking of doing the same thing in regards to replacing front bead or getting my gunsmith to tap it for muzzleloader iron sights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tha bugman

My forearm is so slick I am going to get some gloves with good grip so it doesn't fly out of my hands when it goes off.  I am also going to get a ported choke to hopefully help with muzzle jump. I love the gun so far

HoutzNWTF

They are fun guns for sure. The recoil isn't as bad as you might think because the gun is heavy enough to soak up a lot of it.

BKS

Any ammo recommendations for this gun with a Kick's Gobbling Thunder .690 choke?

deadbuck

BKS, unless changed recently, Kicks advises against using HTL shells in their chokes which leaves you to shoot lead and copper coated lead. However, I think the general consensus regarding these guns is that there are 3 shells that are superior in these guns. Nitro company ammo 4x5x7 shells, Hevi Shot Magnum Blends, and Federal Heavyweight 7's. My gun performs best with the Fed Heavyweight 7's in a .685 Sumtoy non ported tube. The Mag Blends pattern great too but the recoil is unbearable.

BKS

Thank you for the reply(s)
I have bought a reloader for it and may buy some of BPI nickle plated shot and try to load some. I have read that it is "tougher" than copper plated shot.
If not Im gonna try some Winchester #5 I guess, maybe not the best it may have to work with my choke.
Its my first year trying turkey hunting

redmag

When I was shooting the 10ga. NEF I shot Nitro Company shells (4s,5s and 7s) with the .690 Kicks.  They ate turkeys up but be ready for wallop.

tha bugman

Quote from: BKS on January 25, 2016, 07:15:24 AM
Any ammo recommendations for this gun with a Kick's Gobbling Thunder .690 choke?
have you done any pattern testing yet with the kicks choke?  I got one as well but my gun is in the shop getting a aftermarket butt pad installed.  Hopefully the ported choke and pad will take some of the muzzle jump out of it. 

Gamblinman

Another ammo option is to pick up a TruLock unported choke and shoot some Federal Heavyweight through it. I can promise you will never shoot Nitro ammo again if you get it dialed in.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

WALKER80

Which constriction trulock, I have the same gun and would like to try the hw 7's

tha bugman

.690 I believe...
Quote from: WALKER80 on February 17, 2016, 01:26:03 AM
Which constriction trulock, I have the same gun and would like to try the hw 7's

WALKER80

Quote from: tha bugman on January 22, 2016, 07:41:50 AM

I am thinking of doing the same thing in regards to replacing front bead or getting my gunsmith to tap it for muzzleloader iron sights

I live in Clinton,Ms.   Billy Tierce put a set of truglo sights on mine several years ago. It really makes a difference shooting the 10 when you can get your face off the stock. No more black eyes. Lol

tha bugman

:o :o Aint that the truth....talked to my gunsmith...he said  "why don't you just try it this year with the brass bead and next year we will put some on there if you still are shooting it"  Wise man he knows me too well!   :funnyturkey:
Quote from: WALKER80 on February 18, 2016, 12:00:19 AM
Quote from: tha bugman on January 22, 2016, 07:41:50 AM

I live in Clinton,Ms.   Billy Tierce put a set of truglo sights on mine several years ago. It really makes a difference shooting the 10 when you can get your face off the stock. No more black eyes. Lol