turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Might be a stupid question...

Started by Timmer, March 29, 2011, 01:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmer

Why do so many hunters cup their hand on one side of their mouth when using a mouth call?  I could see maybe in the woods if your decoys were off to the side and you were trying to muffle the sound going out the other direction.  Even then I would imagine that the turkey's ability to pinpoint the sound would make that effort irrelevant.  I have been using a mouthcall for years and have never used my hand.  What am I missing? 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

jshively

I think it may have something to do with how people imitate callers from competition and TV shows.  I have come to believe that a turkey can pinpoint your location even if you are trying to "throw" the call to one side or the other.  A hen can turn her head while calling - but that gobbler knows exactly where she is standing either way.  That being said - I use my hand while calling in the car during the drive to work - probably to conceal my action from other drivers.
:z-guntootsmiley:

stinkpickle

I do it to reflect some sound back towards me, so I can hear myself butcher the call.   ;)

TrackeySauresRex

I do it for Tone, Deflection,Realism.    :newmascot:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Timmer

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on March 29, 2011, 02:35:08 PM
I do it for Tone, Deflection,Realism.    :newmascot:

So perhaps you can educate me.  Where and how do you hold you hand and how does that effect tone and realism? 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

guesswho

It helps change the pitch for me, at least to my ears but I don't do it every time.  I don't do it so my hand is cupped, I do it for pressure on my left cheek.  Closing the chamber so to speak, like a nozzle on a water hose.  You can take the same amount of water pressure through a hose and change the opening on the nozzle to get different streams of water.  I figure if it works on a water hose it should work on air coming out of ones mouth.  But I suck using a diaphram so don't take anything I say about using a mouth call to be correct.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

CASH

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 29, 2011, 02:06:16 PM
I do it to reflect some sound back towards me, so I can hear myself butcher the call.   ;)

x2
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.