turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rasp

Started by ZachH28, January 15, 2016, 04:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZachH28

The calls I am making sound good but they are just so raspy. I am trying to get something with a clearer front end. What do you guys do when trying to make a clear call with not much rasp? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks again
Zach

Bwk

Yes mine too! Suggestions?

KentuckyHeadhunter

What type of call are you making?  This is an important variable. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Bwk

Most of mine are 3 reed with .003 or .004 latex over 2 layers of proph. V cut or a modified v cut. Like Zach said sound good but on the raspy side.

ZachH28

Most of what I am making are three reed .004 over proph. Combo cut

jsyarbor

There's lots of things that can effect rasp. One is how much over hang you put on the top reed. Usually the more overhang you have the raspier the call will be. Hope this helps.

TRKYHTR

:drool:Make sure the top reed doesn't hang over much at all. Also cut your combo cutts deep. It's very hard to get a clear front end note on a V cutt unless you are Scott Ellis. There is just not much room between the cutts to get to the second reed without the top reed vibrating. Also stretch the call more.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

drenalinld

I finally found clear front end with v-cut after visiting on the phone with Scott.

Sadler McGraw

Like others have said, depth of the cut and how much reed over hangs is most of the rasp.  Also the way that you present the air across the call determines how much rasp is made.  Myself, I use a 2.5 reed ghost, but I can make as much rasp and anyone out there, a lot of that is how I push the air across the call, how much I drop my jaw and some of it is made with the back of my throat. ( at least that I think it is)

Stretch is important also, but I don't think it is the most critical part.

I can take that same ghost cut and make 4,5 , 10 notes crystal clear, and when I want the rasp, the next note drops into that rasp.

Many callers are sloppy in how they push the air across the call.  There is a huge difference in just having reeds flapping in the wind vs what natural rasp sounds like.

Cutting on a mouth call is the same way, some guys sound like a cheap rubber basketball bouncing on a hardwood court, they are sloppy with how they push the air across the call. Distinct and separated notes is what your looking for!!!
Sadler McGraw Custom Calls
World and Grand National Calling Champion