turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pros and Cons of 20 G auto loader options

Started by kevin2, January 15, 2016, 01:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranger007

1st Benelli M2 to carry 2nd a Beretta A400 w/ kickoff if you are worried about recoil.

dutch@fx4

My daughter just bought the mossy sa20  .so far she loves it .she really wants a red dot put on it for turkeys  .has anyone had one drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Is there enough meat in the receiver to have it done on these shotguns. Thanks Dutch

FL-Boss

SA-20 is already factory drilled and tapped

reynolds243

M2 or Affinity. Best options out there IMO and crazy simple to breakdown and clean

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."

Sent from my phone sucka

Roost 1

SA-459..... Can buy 2 of them for the price of 1 M2... FWIW I have both guns. I will using the SA-459 in the turkey woods!!

NYlogbeards

I've handled an H&R excell auto 20ga at Gander Mountain, pretty nice gun, but haven't seen any in a while even on H&R site have them out of stock but they ran for 450$ not bad price tag for an Auto.

Quote from: Roost 1 on February 13, 2016, 08:01:38 PM
SA-459..... Can buy 2 of them for the price of 1 M2... FWIW I have both guns. I will using the SA-459 in the turkey woods!!

You still using that Carlson's choke you got from me Roost 1? Have you shot any Fed 7 or lead out of it?

Turkeyfever

The mossberg Sa 20 Turkey thug is drilled and tapped and comes with the bar. I do not think the normal sa 20 is drilled and tapped. That being said after getting to pattern my sa-20 turkey thug I would recommend it to anyone! Great shooting gun and good price for an auto!

Roost 1

Quote from: NYlogbeards on February 13, 2016, 08:55:01 PM
I've handled an H&R excell auto 20ga at Gander Mountain, pretty nice gun, but haven't seen any in a while even on H&R site have them out of stock but they ran for 450$ not bad price tag for an Auto.

You still using that Carlson's choke you got from me Roost 1? Have you shot any Fed 7 or lead out of it?

Ive shot it very little but only with TSS.... I will do more testing soon..

NYlogbeards

Quote from: Roost 1 on February 13, 2016, 09:04:14 PM
Quote from: NYlogbeards on February 13, 2016, 08:55:01 PM

Ive shot it very little but only with TSS.... I will do more testing soon..

Alright, those TSS #9 you shot through it looked good, take any Turkeys with it or just pattern with it so far?

dutch@fx4

This is the standard sa20 and it is not drilled and tapped yet. I am going to take it too the smith this week and see what he thinks as she did really well shooting my shotgun with the red dot on turkeys and really wants to have a red dot on her gun  for both deer and turkeys. Dutch

g8rvet

I was having neck issues last year and was tired of the recoil when sighting the gun in for the season.  Had been thinking about a 20 for a while and that motivated me.  I looked on here, I looked online, I looked at reviews.  Then I went to the gun stores and I held them in my hand. I wanted a pistol stock as well.  There were a lot of options, but I already have a 20 gauge for shooting dove or clays, so this was going to be a turkey only gun. Sight it in and let her sit all offseason.  After holding all the above mentioned in my hand and reading about a gazillion reviews, I went with the Weatherby SA-459.  Shoots like a breeze, points well and light enough to tote all day. My first autoloader I have ever owned in any gauge.  Love it!  I found it at my local bass Pro and got 10% off when I opened a credit card accaount with them on the same day-all purchases for that day, so I loaded up on ammo and sling.  Bought a Trulock choke and enough Federal HW #7 to last a while. 

My best advice is to read a bunch, get a bunch of opinions and then the ultimate test is the hold them in your hands. That is always my final say when I am buying any gun - How does it feel in my hands?

Let us know what you get too!
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

kevin2

Well guys, I'm going to get the Weatherby SA-459 Turkey Semi Auto in Realtree Xtra Green Camo.

Haven't decided to get a scope or not. I had a Burris Fast Fire III on my last 12 gauge, but I didn't care for it.

NOW I have to start thinking about ammo!

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

g8rvet

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

dutch@fx4

I got the mossy sa20  great gun so far .love how soft it shoots .wish I could get a rifled barrel to go with it as that would make a fantastic combo .best of both worlds. Dutch