turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looking at a new Owl call

Started by MK M GOBL, January 13, 2016, 08:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

I'm starting to look for a new locator, my old owl call which I have relied on it's performance for over the last 20 years gave out and is no longer made... I did find one on E-bay and it's on it's way. Beyond that I am looking for a new call, first and foremost I will say I put more into performance than looks, don't get me wrong I buy calls to collect but what I hunt with day to day has to perform or it goes into the giveaway bin. So I am looking at a "Reed" Barred Owl Call and after a little research am interested in a (Harrison Hoot'n Stick) and if anyone has in the field results with it? I am open to other suggestions but like I say I am only concerned with performance of the call.

MK M GOBL

davisd9

Houndstooth Hooter

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

WV Ridge Reaper

Quote from: davisd9 on January 13, 2016, 08:57:28 PM
Houndstooth Hooter

Sent from the Strut Zone

YUP

I own the houndstooth and Harrison hooter..The houndstooth is what I run,gave the Harrison to the kiddo to play with

http://houndstoothgamecalls.com/index.php/products.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.v3.tpl&product_id=35&category_id=9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

Not to steal the tread, but could ya'll elaborate on the differences between the two?

Bowguy

Tennessee Lead

I have a Hootn stick I like really good

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

buzzardroost

I've got a houndstooth on the way after seeing this thread. Thanks for the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRKYHTR

I also make owl hooters. Here is a spalted birch I made. James and Lyle make a great hooter. You can't go wrong with either of those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5lRjNgbDY4

Joe

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

KentuckyHeadhunter

Another vote for the hootin stick however I find these "locator" calls to be less and less effective for me personally.  I always keep a crow call no matter what though.  My vote would be a Harrison though.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

bowbird87

Hootin stick is the best I've run. I may try a houndstooth, I love a good owl hooter.

MK M GOBL

My 4 go to locators that work the best for me are my Owl, Crow, Peacock and Goose call. I use them everyday I'm out and tore me up to have my owl call break. The lip that extends from the top of the tone board split from where the wedge is inserted... I'm going to contact the manufacture or see if I can make a piece from another old call work. But still thinking to go with the Hoot'n Stick

MK M GOBL

KentuckyHeadhunter

If you get one get the walnut.  I have several custom exotic ones from James but I still like the Walnut best. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Roost Wrecker

All of those are a good choice. Try one of Joe Slaton's owl hooters and I'm sure you won't be disappointed

Snood Life

MK M GOBL

Got the call I found on e-bay and was NIB condition and sounds as good as my original! I still might look at another JIC but will see what we will have a the store this spring as well. Thanks for all the input!

MK MGOBL