turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rob Roberts chokes and Benelli SBE2

Started by soky, January 12, 2016, 01:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soky

I purchased a SBE2 with a 24" barrel. I recently spoke with a lady that works at robs place and informed her I shot a .660 final strut choke that I had borrowed off of a buddy and it shot a pretty open pattern. She preceded to inform me that a .660 was too open for my gun and I needed to purchase a .665 because it's tighter and the numbers doesn't matter. Everything I've ever heard about chokes is the lower the number the tighter the choke. Am I wrong on this or is rob Roberts chokes just different? Thanks for the help.

dirt road ninja

.660 is tighter than .665. Numbers DO matter.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

soky

That's all I wanted to know. I don't guess I'll be shooting anything from there. I'm sure Mr. Roberts is a very knowledgable man when it comes to benellis considering all of the good things I hear on here about him. I asked for him when I called but the lady I talked to informed me that she could answer any of my questions. It sure doesn't seem like she can answer them right..

dirt road ninja

What she may have meant is numbers don't matter in regards to pattern density. It is possible a more open choke will provide a denser pattern in some cases, just a speculation on my part. I wouldn't write off using the mentioned gunsmith solely on the conversation you had. Rob's reputation with Benellis' is well earned.

TNReb

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 12, 2016, 03:50:52 PM
What she may have meant is numbers don't matter in regards to pattern density. It is possible a more open choke will provide a denser pattern in some cases, just a speculation on my part. I wouldn't write off using the mentioned gunsmith solely on the conversation you had. Rob's reputation with Benellis' is well earned.

This.

I think there was some miscommunication.  I've heard before that RR is more concerned with a nice even pattern than having x # of shot in a 10" circle.

PALongspur

I'm not trying to stir up a hornets nest, but I'd bet a month's pay you misunderstood what she said. I'm pretty positive she said ".655". That is the standard constriction they like to start with on a SBEII, almost regardless of shotshell choice.

drenalinld

Yes if 0.660 is too open, 0.665 would be even more open. She mis spoke or you misunderstood. And yes a different design choke may shoot tighter patterns with the same or more open constriction.

soky

Quote from: PALongspur on January 12, 2016, 07:58:06 PM
I'm not trying to stir up a hornets nest, but I'd bet a month's pay you misunderstood what she said. I'm pretty positive she said ".655". That is the standard constriction they like to start with on a SBEII, almost regardless of shotshell choice.

What do you make a month? just kidding. I'm sure the miscommunication was on my end. I know how things can sound over the phone.

nyhunter

When i bought my Final strut for my SBE2 she told be they like to start at .655 and even in some cases .650,  I have a .655 and .660 and both throw awesome patterns.

Full strut

their secretary almost sold me a .660 in my SBE2 24 inch barrel, until Mr. Roberts reviewed the orders and changed it to a .655, as that is the standard for that combo.

reynolds243

Yup 655 is what they told me to start with on my sbe2

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."

Sent from my phone sucka

greentag

ive got a 24 inch sbe2, and have the .655,i was told by rob that in all the shooting he does the .655,will 99% of the time be the best for the 24 inch barells,i had him send me one and couldn't be happier,it is an awesome choke especially will longbeard #6 in the 3 1/2 inch shells.he did say that if you had a longer barrel it may be best to go with the .660 but the 24 inch will almost always shoot the .655 better.i would say there was some misunderstanding over the phone,or maybe she just got confused for a moment.

taylorjones20

They recommend the .655 in 26" or shorter barrels and the .660 in the 28" barrel.  They have done plenty of testing to get their recommendations.  I'm sure there was some miscommunication somewhere.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

BINK McCARTY

Call Gobbler Guns (Rob Roberts) and ask to speak to Jonathon he can help you ......NUMBERS DO MATTER...