turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Deep cleaning a shotgun barrel

Started by turkeykiller, December 26, 2015, 02:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeykiller

What is the best way to deep clean a shot gun barrel and is it worth it.

eddie234

allaboutshooting

Quote from: turkeykiller on December 26, 2015, 02:36:14 PM

Here is a link to the procedure for "deep cleaning" a shotgun barrel. The process is simple, costs little to nothing but can pay great dividends. It will take a little time and it is messy. Just follow the recommendations and I think that you, like thousands of others now, will be pleased with the results.

http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=282

I've had literally hundreds of folks over the past decade send me pictures of the "gunk" this procedure removed from what they believed to be clean bores.

All my best.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. This is generally all any modern barrel needs. Polishing a barrel is another procedure that has been popular. As long as you do not use any abrasive tools/materials, that might create low spots in the bore, it is normally just fine as well.
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Gobble!

Quote from: allaboutshooting on December 27, 2015, 08:55:59 AM

Here is a link to the procedure for "deep cleaning" a shotgun barrel. The process is simple, costs little to nothing but can pay great dividends. It will take a little time and it is messy. Just follow the recommendations and I think that you, like thousands of others now, will be pleased with the results.

I've had literally hundreds of folks over the past decade send me pictures of the "gunk" this procedure removed from what they believed to be clean bores.

All my best.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. This is generally all any modern barrel needs. Polishing a barrel is another procedure that has been popular. As long as you do not use any abrasive tools/materials, that might create low spots in the bore, it is normally just fine as well.

Did this years ago. Well worth the time.

turkeykiller

The gun I have is brand new SBE2. Will deep cleaning still help or does it need to be shot before I can see a difference. Thanks for all the response to the post about deep cleaning. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: turkeykiller on December 30, 2015, 10:04:47 AM
The gun I have is brand new SBE2. Will deep cleaning still help or does it need to be shot before I can see a difference. Thanks for all the response to the post about deep cleaning.
Yes. You may not get as much gunk out as some others do bit it will be beneficial nonetheless.

Thanks,
Clark

mote1977

Quote from: allaboutshooting on December 27, 2015, 08:55:59 AM

All my best.

Thanks,
Clark

What happened to the link? It's not working anymore.

allaboutshooting

I updated/upgraded the site and the links changed. Here's the new one to "Deep Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" http://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/tagged/cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel

Thanks,
Clark

Tennessee Lead

Bout time to do this again thanks Clark

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

eorlando

mote1977

allaboutshooting

I appreciate all of the positive comments. The site upgrade was quite a project but I think you'll find it easier to negotiate now.

I apologize for the links changing.

Thanks,
Clark

timberchicken

I deep cleaned 2 12 gauge barrels that I didn't think where that bad. After seeing the garbage that came out of them I did my 20 and 10 gauges that where filthy. I am excited to put them to paper to see what the numbers do.

Flounder

Deep cleaning is cleaning? Polishing is removing most imperfections and cleaning?

Izzyjoe

I've found that the more times I deep clean a barrel, it's easier to clean with a brush and a patch. Just a few passes, and I'm done.